Trapdoor snail behaviour

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spoonsofspinach

AC Members
Dec 14, 2005
I have had a two gallon, coldwater tank since February with only one male betta in it. During the summer, it started developing a lot of green algae. I inquired about getting a snail to help with the problem. My very aggressive betta did not agree. He took three quick bites out of the snail, possibly blinding the snail on the right side. Is this possible? Do the snails have eyes or do they rely solely on smell? Will the missing antennae regenerate?

My second question is about the snails behaviour. I moved the snail into my 20 gallon tank with my dojos, guppies, and corys. He immediately came out of his shell and happily chomped his way all around this tank. Today, however, I couldn't find him anywhere in the tank. I moved everything inside and around the outside of the tank thinking he may have found a way out. No luck. After a bit, he had appeared again. Do trapdoor snails bury themselves in the substrate? This is a second-hand tank so I did not choose my disco-coloured gravel.

:huh: S.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store