injured clownfish!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

res940

AC Members
Nov 28, 2005
my two clownfish are still fighting for dominance and the one has fins that are ripped. I'm guessing it's from running and banging into rocks as i've seen him do this numerous times. It looks almost like it was cut with scissors it's that clean and the rest of the fin looks perfectly fine. Is he going to be alright?? Also they've been showing odd submissive behavior. "Bo" (the injured one) when first introduced to the tank was the more active and more dominant one. Now after a while he seems to be much more lethargic hiding behind rocks and not swimming around nearly as much as before (could it be because of his injury's?). The other one "Nolan" used to be the submissive one seizuring all the time whenever Bo would dart at him. Now Nolan is constantly darting at Bo who doesn't show any submissive behavior, he'll either just run away or turn and stare down nolan, which will cause the original attacker (nolan) to go into seizure. It just seems like their in a stalemate, the one that seizures the most is the one that is the more dominant attacker... Does anyone who knows about pairing clowns think this is odd activity or will they eventually work it out?

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
are they ocellaris clowns or percula? Where they introduced at the same time? you should try re-arranging the rocks. Make sure there is lots of hiding spaces and also make sure that the less dominant one is eating.

res940

AC Members
Nov 28, 2005
they are ocellaris, and they were introduced at the same time... they're both about 1.5 inches long. I've already tried rearranging the tank multiple times, but it doesn't change anything. They are also both eating perfectly fine, thanks for the reply!!

Mahlhavoc

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
That or you could take one back and get one about half the size or you could take them both back and request a mated pair if Mysis idea dosent work out.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
My guess is that being the same size the fish are of the same sex. that said i think the more aggressive one is showing it's dominance as in any group of animals whether it be lions or fish. i would give it a week, if no change return it to get a smaller one.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
If Nolan is still seizing, it's a sign that he's submissive and trying to chill Bo out. It's hard to say whether it's a problem, but it may just be that Nolan is trying to entice Bo to spawn. Has Nolan shown any signs of cleaning an area?

My clowns could be pretty mean to each other when they were first working things out. Putting one in a breeding net can calm them down sometimes.

res940

AC Members
Nov 28, 2005
alright thanks for the help guys!! i guess i'll wait it out and see if bo starts to act more submissive now that nolan's the boss

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store