Sick Oto Please Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dj baldwin

AC Members
Nov 10, 2005
Los Angeles
Hello everyone. One of my girlfriend's otos is sick. It seems to swim vertically at all time. He swims with one fin, the other fin looks okay with no visible injury. The most visible thing is that he has a white spot on his head. I dont think it is ich because it is way bigger than a grain of salt. He seems to always be laying on the gravel, sometimes even on its side. Every time we think he is dead he moves around. The oto has been like this for two days. They are fed zucchini, spinach romaine lettuce and algae wafers. The tetras always stick to themselves, we have never seen them chase, nip the otos since she has had them, 2 months.

Tank info:
29 gallon, cycled and running for 1 year
Nitrate - less than 20
Nitrite - 0
ammonia -0
Hardness - 75
Alkalinity - 80
ph - 7.2

Tank Mates -
10 Red Eye tetras
1 panda cory
1 pepper cory
6 otos

a couple of plants - don't know what they are, i think anubias

Thank you in advanced

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
It's mostlikely Ich, Or if you have an aquarium heater it could have burned itself on it.. There's nothing you can do, you can try melafix or ich treatments, my best bet is to move it to another tank and see what happens with treatment, but it sounds like it'll pass on. Sorry

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store