'Constipated' goldfish being harrassed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
Yesterday, my 2 smaller goldfish started chasing my bigger goldfish around the tank, pecking at his anal hole. I think he may be constipated becuase a bit of poo is came out but has come out no further, and the other fish have mistaken it for food, even though I feed them reguarly os they can't be hungry. What should I do? I am worried that this harrassing is making him very stressed. What if the other fish even DAMAGE his butt by all the pecking? I've heard that peas help a constipated fish, but I have no idea what else to do. What if the 'poo' is something more serious? A tumor? Please help!!!!!

vespa

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
well first u should stop feeding any dried food u use. then get some epson salt (not sure of the dosage think its 1 table spoon per us gallon some people say a 1/4 tablespoon per us gallon). but ure 100% spot on with the peas, use them instead of the dried food (also heard brine shrimp is good) but only feed him very little untill condition has changed.
hope that helps and hope someone on this forum can give u the correct epson salt dosage as im only new and never had to use it (thank god)
i have also read constipation if not treated could turn to dropsy (dropsical symptoms)
anyway good luck hope everything turns out ok

soojeong

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
wow. i don't know a lot as the person above, but you can remove the big fish and put it somewhere else, but only if nothing works... how long have they been together? did they get along before? have you changed anything in your aquarium?

Boohoo

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
Bridgewater,Nova Scotia
Are you sure that is the problem? I have goldfish ...4 males and 2 females. The males have gotten very frisky lately. I did not know their sexes until about 2 months ago, when they look like they are harassing the females. With a little research and some observation , I have come to find out I have 2 females and 4 males (males have developed the white specks on their gill plates as well as their pectorial fins). From what I have have read they can really give the females a hard time(looks like they're beating them up).

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
I've treated swim bladder problems and constipation with frozen peas. Stop feeding any flakes for the next few days and just peal off the skin from the peas and drop them in. They will sink to the bottom keep the goldfish busy + work as a laxative.

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
Its ok now. The fish's anal hole had turned browny-pink, but has now turned back to it's usal white colour. However now it's changing clour again! Why is this? The other goldfish have stopped harrassing it, thankfully.

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
Well, folks, I have been doing some research on the internet and have come to the conclusion that the two smaller goldfish are males and the big goldfish is a female. They probaly have got a bit horny becuase I put the tempreture up higher. I am slighty worried though becuase neither of the male fish have got those white things on their gills. I read that when goldfish reach sexual maturity (about 1 years old) they get horny and will chase the females around, regardless of whether the female is ready to spawn. I am pretty sure the female is ready to spawn though. What if she lays her eggs and the male (which ever one) does not fertilize them because he is not sexually matured enough? What will happen to the eggs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store