A mysterious force shook buildings

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Black_Moor

Aquarium = The Anti-Prozac!
Dec 10, 2005
Seattle
Sounds like a earthquake to me.. I've been in several from mid 5's to a 8.3 and they all produced a loud rumble / big bang style sounding, it sounds like an explosion going off when the ground really starts to move.

Be interesting to see what the USGS has at that specific time of day for the area.

sky.eyes.woman

I'd rather be in Hockeytown!
Dec 6, 2004
Greenville, SC
Even pretty minor earthquakes can be pretty scary when people live in places where they aren't used to them. When I still lived in Michigan, I got jolted awake by a loud BOOM! and the feeling of my house swaying for just a second at about 4am. I knew I wasn't dreaming because it woke my cat up too. We just looked at each other with huge eyes and a 'WTF was that?!' look. I thought a garbage truck hit my house, but there were no tire tracks in my yard. A minor earthquake never even crossed my mind until I got to work the next day and someone asked me if I felt it.

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
I live in Japan, and if earthquakes where to ever hold a party it would be here. :D What they discribed sounds like an earthquake to me. I have been in too many to count. :soda:

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
interesting

I did a gogle search and did n't find anything but that is the anniversary of the very substantial 1811 New Madrid Earthquake centered in Missourri which shook the entire Mississippi Valley.

And, on Wed Dec 14th there was an earthquake reported in Arkansas, which has had several that week.

did not notice a USGS site, maybe I'll look again.

Oh, yeah, no current info but they do happen from time to time!USGS History of Miss Earthquakes

Last edited:

Black_Moor

Aquarium = The Anti-Prozac!
Dec 10, 2005
Seattle
Seattle is a big point for Earthquakes as well, when the ground liquifies it's pretty scary and it's just like being on the water except the ground has swells.. I saw it have 4 foot swells one time and that I couldn't get my mind around, I just stared in disbelief and tried to keep my footing. Saw the front facades of buildings fall and alot of the older "non-quake" buildings either lost their entire frontings and a few of the purely brick ones came down.

I know the older hospital on the hill Harborview really got rattled and shaken, parts closed and the State capital main part was closed for over a year being repaired..

The Seattle Via-duct.. "It's not safe.. but we have it open to drive on.." .. hmm.. okay, sure.. You betcha.. Oh "We found 3 inch cracks in the substructure..."

Yup, and.. I still won't ride in a car on it! :)

mermaiden78

AC Members
Oct 23, 2005
Mobile Alabama
Real Name
Dana
Im in Mobile alabama and i felt it scared to bejeezes out of me!!!!!!!!!!!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
tricksterpup said:
whew, I thought there for a second Joe your tank fell off its stands. ;)
That would be the end of the 125 days, at least I think it would...

:eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store