Why no carbon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jacob Abshire

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I have been running a back filter with carbon in my tank for about a year and a half (about the life of the tank). Through out this time I have seen people say "I am running a backfilter with out carbon" and similer things. Why should I not have carbon in my reef tank?

Thanks, Jacob.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Unless you're replacing the carbon weekly, it isn't actually doing anything other than acting as a bacteria bed. Carbon quickly wears out; since it's primary use it to remove tannins and medications and similar compounds, why bother?

Of course, it's not hurting your tank to run it. It just isn't benefitting it. I'm cheap, I don't like spending money if I don't need to. I'd rather save my pennies and use carbon only when needed.

Blacktipreef

Registered Member
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
Carbon in a reef tank. One main reason you shouldn't have it in th etank is because it is simple removing most chemicals/non-biological things out of the water. For instance, when you pplace a new bag of carbon in the water and add the nutrients and chemicals to liven your coral up, the carbon will remove the additives. That is what it is made for to remove most suspended chemcials from the water, its like not adding anyhting at all. If you have had carbon in the tank right now its most likely dead, run out of juice your could say, bascially and now is just a home for beneficial bateria. I see no reason why u should take it out since it has already run its course. Carbono is best used for quarentine tanks and fish only tanks, because if u medicate or spill something unwanted into them the carbon will help greatly in the removal of that unwanted chemicals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store