another cichlid stocking question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Atrus

AC Members
Dec 5, 2005
I've only got a small tank right now, some tetras, but I am completely hooked on fishkeeping, and I think I'm ready to handle a large tank. Unfortunately space is limited, so right now I'm torn between a 30 gallon or 55 gallon tank. Ideally I'd like to have a tank with several cichlids in it, but there are sooo many choices, and so many variables to compatability. I guess my next step is to write down a list of all the cichlids the local petsmart keeps. My question is, is it realistic to keep several cichlids in a tank together long term, and what size tank would you recommend and what options do I have with it?

PS. I realize these questions probably popup every other day, and I've done a little bit of search, but I just feel the need to start up my own discussion. If you feel that I need to search some more, just lemme know, I won't be offended, lol. Thanks!

- Dave

kcooley

freeswimming
Dec 14, 2005
MN
stocking cichlids is no taboo... its actually pretty easy.

if you want specific cichlids, choose between 5-7 for a 30 or 7-9 for a 55. just ask the person working the fish store if it will get along with what you already have. or what you want to have.

make sure you compliment all of their natural waters, and dont put a cichlid in water it doesnt belong...(ie. kribensis with tanganyika)

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I would not trust the advice of the pet store employees.... do the research yourself!

Asking questions here is great. I would definately go for the 55 gallon. More space to work with and you have a larger window of fish choice. Bigger is always better ;).

Firstly, you need to decide what type of cichlids you want. Like was mentioned before, dont mix fish from different areas. Stick to one location: Central American (CA), South American (SA), African Rift Lake, African Riverine, etc etc.

If you want a bunch of colorful mixed cichlids then I suggest African Rift Lake (Lake Malawi). If you want a few larger fish or fish that form breeding pairs like Convicts then I would go with a SA/CA setup. Do some browsing on the internet. www.cichlid-forum.com is a good all-over cichlid site that will give you some ideas. www.malawimayhem.com is a good Malawi - only cichlid site.

Throw any old 'stocking recipes' out the window since the key to stocking cichlids together is based on thier temperment, not nessecarily thier size.

The best thing for you to do is to go to the local LFS, look at some cichlids that interest you, write down thier names (both common and scientific if you can) and then search them up on the internet to get info on them. Ask here if ones you like will go together. That way, you will know better what you are in for.

It may take a few more days, but its worth it. Plus you dont even have the tank setup yet, you have lots of time to do research!

:)
-Diana

Atrus

AC Members
Dec 5, 2005
thanks for the replies guys/gals, I can't wait to get started. I did a little more research, i found the malawi mayhem site, very good, and ended up on wikipedia and couple other places, and learned a little bit about the malawi cichlids, i think that is the route i wanna do, the mbuna. I believe at the petsmart around here (not many LFS that do freshwater, but im still lookin), that they have specific cichlids in tanks, and they have tanks labeled at 'african cichlids', like a variety tank, im guessing it might be hard to distinguish them when they're only about an 1" long, if they employees don't know. I guess first step is compile a list of names from the store, and test my water, and see how good of a starting point I have.

I'm also reading that slightly over stocking tanks as long as you overfilter them is good, because it diffuses the fish aggression, is this sound advice? And what type of numbers are we looking at for this type of situation?

- Dave

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I wouldn't worry about overstocking... I really wish that idea wasnt circulating out there since thats what I thought when I started out with malawi cichlids too. But it really only works in large tanks, and species compatibility is still an issue. Over-filter your tank anyways cus these guys can be messy!

For a 55 gallon tank, I would aim for around 10 fish. You may need to remove extra males or ones that become too aggressive down the road, so keep that in mind. If you want males and females of each species (which is worth it because sometimes the males and females are quite different), then one male to several females is key.

Maybe start with 10-12 fish, with plans to remove extra males down the road, in order to obtain a good balance in your tank.

-Diana

Atrus

AC Members
Dec 5, 2005
~*LuvMyKribs*~ said:
I wouldn't worry about overstocking... I really wish that idea wasnt circulating out there since thats what I thought when I started out with malawi cichlids too. But it really only works in large tanks, and species compatibility is still an issue. Over-filter your tank anyways cus these guys can be messy!

For a 55 gallon tank, I would aim for around 10 fish. You may need to remove extra males or ones that become too aggressive down the road, so keep that in mind. If you want males and females of each species (which is worth it because sometimes the males and females are quite different), then one male to several females is key.

Maybe start with 10-12 fish, with plans to remove extra males down the road, in order to obtain a good balance in your tank.

-Diana
Ok, here is another question for you, (thanks for the advice btw :)). It is the holidays, and hypothetically, if I were to recieve a 30 gallon tank, how should I go about using that. Can I keep these fish in a 30 gallon tank at all? If so, how many would I be shooting for. I've also read that its best to add the fish young and/or all at once, so none of them can develop very strong territories. So that kind of takes away the option of getting 5 fish say, for the 30 gallon now, and adding those and more to a 55 gallon tank later (maybe? maybe not?). Alternatively, I could stock the 30 gallon while they are still young and move up to the 55 gallon tank in the future before they get too large. I'm curious how long it'd take those fish to outgrow the 30 gallon. Money isn't really an issue, its just that If I do get a tank (I very well might, i've been raving about aquariums for months), I'd like to use it, and I wan't my cichlids!! :)

- Dave

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Hopefully you do get the tank for christmas! I want one :D

Well you have a couple options for a 30 gallon tank and malawi cichlids. Either, you could get juvies with the plan to upgrade them when they grow up a bit (I would say within 4 months). Or, you could stock the 30 gallon as if the fish will be living there long term.

If you get juvies with the plan to upgrade them, get the ones you would get for a 55 gallon tank (about 10 fish). And then when you move them, move them all at the same time to the new tank.

If you want to keep the fish in the 30 gallon, then you are limited as to what species. Yellow labs will be pretty much the only fish you could keep. One male and 2-3 females. Maybe rusties would work, but they are a little more aggressive than yellow labs.

So really, you need to decide whether you will be getting that other tank or not, because that will define which species you can keep temporarily in the 30 gallon.

-Diana

Atrus

AC Members
Dec 5, 2005
~*LuvMyKribs*~ said:
Hopefully you do get the tank for christmas! I want one :D

Well you have a couple options for a 30 gallon tank and malawi cichlids. Either, you could get juvies with the plan to upgrade them when they grow up a bit (I would say within 4 months). Or, you could stock the 30 gallon as if the fish will be living there long term.

If you get juvies with the plan to upgrade them, get the ones you would get for a 55 gallon tank (about 10 fish). And then when you move them, move them all at the same time to the new tank.

If you want to keep the fish in the 30 gallon, then you are limited as to what species. Yellow labs will be pretty much the only fish you could keep. One male and 2-3 females. Maybe rusties would work, but they are a little more aggressive than yellow labs.

So really, you need to decide whether you will be getting that other tank or not, because that will define which species you can keep temporarily in the 30 gallon.

-Diana

Cool, but with an upgrade waiting just 4 months after getting my 30 gallon, that plan would be out of the question, its just too soon (not for me, but who im getting the tank from im sure! :)), so I'd probably go with the yellow labs, and its cool that you mention those, because i was clicking on your sig, and I saw you had yellow labs in a 30 gallon, and added them first on my list of fish i'd like to get, they're very nice. Another question for you. Suppose I put the 4 yellow labs into the 30 gallon tank, and everything goes well. Don't think there would be a way to move them in a year or so into a 55 gallon tank with another set of yellows or similar fish, since it'll be a new tank to all of them. (I guess now that i type this out, the size would be the biggest issue, no?). If thats gonna be a prob, I think i'll just do yellow labs in the 30gal, 4 or 5 would be nice. Maybe a few dither fish?

- Dave

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Yeah that will be okay to move the yellow labs to the larger tank down the road, at the same time as adding new fish to that 55. That'll give everyone an equal shot at territory. :)

And just a note... all those fish in my 30 gallon were there only temporarily, they were moved about 4 months after I got them to a 90 gallon tank ;). I used that 30 gallon mainly as a grow-out tank.

I'm not sure on the dither fish, as many people have mixed results when using them with africans. The biggest issue, IMO, is that water chemistry. Its rare you can find a dither fish that will suit the high pH of african cichlids. ;) Of course aggression and diet are also issues.

-Diana

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store