A single clownfish with no mate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the3kgt2

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
My 46g tank just finished cycling so I bought an ocellaris clownfish and a yellow-tailed damsel. I know clownfish like to pair up but I never thought a damsel and a clownfish would pair up together. They usually stay within 4 inches of each other except when the damsel hides to sleep. Should I buy one more clownfish to keep it happier and less stressed?

chevo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2005
portland rx
Yes they like to be in groups the clown fish i got 5 of them and they are very happy

the3kgt2

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
If my first one is already settled in and has a territory, will it still pair up with a newcomer?

chevo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2005
portland rx
Yes i think they will just move stuff around in the tank and they be fine

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Just get a very young juvenile that has been with a group of other clowns. A clown that has spent much time alone is probably on its way to being a female. More than two anemonefish in a tank will mean the death or serious harrassment of the most submissive.

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
One of my clownfish died a few months ago. It was the female... I decided to replace her and bought one that was smaller than the current clown. Anyway, it's been just over 5 weeks and the new "smaller" clown is suddenly very close to the same size as the original clown! I wouldn't be surprised if this new one will become the dominant clown and end up bigger! nature sure is strange!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store