Can any corals be kept w/ cc star?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kbaker721

AC Members
Dec 7, 2002
PA
Visit site
I am thinking of sometime getting into corals (29 gal tank w/ 65 watt coral life lighting). ANyway the reason I ask is because my cc star seems to eat everything. I got a hitchiker a while back with some live rock (either a small anenome or a polyp), anyway the cc star ate that. I would like to get some polyps or something like that but I don't know if I can with the star.

Thanks....

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
No, you'd have to get rid of the star if you want a reef. There are a few stars that are "reef-safe", namely fromias and linkias. But in a small tank like yours, you'd have to make sure they're kept well-fed to keep them behaved.

Kara

AC Members
Feb 21, 2003
Fort Lauderdale
Visit site
silly question..

What is a cc star? I'm new to the reef keeper obsession and have a few starfish in my tank. None bother my corals. I do however keep them well fed by hand feeding them the little silversides every 2-3 days.

Would be good to know the kind of starfish a cc is so I don't buy one! :)

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
CC's look like this...generally, avoid any starfish with fleshy knobs on the tops of the arms as these tend to be from genera that are unsafe for reef tanks. (Ex: Protoreastor, Pentaceastor, Choriaster, etc etc)

protoreastor_nodosus.jpg

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Are the CC's just bad in reef tanks, or will they strip live rock too?

Kara

AC Members
Feb 21, 2003
Fort Lauderdale
Visit site
ah, yeah..those.

A few of my LFSs reccommended that star to me. Luckily, I called my 'reef tank mentor' and he said NO, do NOT put it in your reef tank! So, I'm sticking with various Fromia whom have had absoloutely perfect manners in my reef tank.

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Voodoochild, CCstars will consume certain sessile inverts on live rock, especially bivalves, like clams. It tends to be hit or miss as many of these smaller critters can go overlooked. Still, this star is best avoided where any vulnerable sessile inverts are kept.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store