goldfish with ich.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tha cichlid man

University Of South Central
Oct 23, 2005
Los Angeles,Ca
My sister have some oranda goldfish that has ich. I was wondering do you treat them with meds since you can't do the temp & salt or can I do just the salt?

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Just salt and a *little* heat:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63365&highlight=goldfish+ich

I upped the slowly temperature to 78* and added an aerator. Coldwater fish need more oxygen than tropicals. Anything over 78* and they were at the surface, so I left it there.

2 teaspoons salt per gallon, added over 3 days, and my plan is three weeks. I have a corycat and a Mystery snail in there as well and I'm sure they'll do fine.

I'm currently on day 5 and pretty well all the spots are gone, except for a couple on Hundred. It IS taking longer for the spots to disappear.

Both fish are doing fine and eating like goldfish always eat -- like pigs :)

Roan

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
you can either do the salt methos, of buy an ICH medicine, my moms oranda has ich a few weeks ago it was gon within 3 days after using aquarium phamaceuticals super ich cure

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
tha cichlid man said:
She have air in the tank but no heater can I still do the salt methed?
Yep. It's salt that kills the ich, not the heat. The heat only speeds up the cycle, so make sure you treat with salt long enough.

Roan

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
it's also important to figure out why your fish has ich in the first place. if the problem is water quality, no amount of medication/salt is going to solve the problem unless you improve the condition(s) that caused it in the first place.

mvigor

Aquarium Hobbyist
Mar 24, 2005
Lunchlady land
www.vigorfamily.com
Fish don't just mysteriously get ICH like someone gets the flu or a cold bug. The ICH parasites don't come into the tank from the air around it.

In other words, poor water quality can cause a lot of troubles, but ICH is not one of them. ICH comes in from another tank whether in LFS water, on a new fish or plant.

P.S. I have treated ICH in a fancy goldfish tank with temperatures as high as 82 successfully. I just added a lot of aeration.

Last edited:

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
In other words, poor water quality can cause a lot of troubles, but ICH is not one of them. ICH comes in from another tank whether in LFS water, on a new fish or plant.
this is absolutely incorrect. in fact, the ich parasite is in virtually ALL tanks, all the time, including those with apparently healthy fish. when fish are stressed, they lose they're inherant resistance to disease both pathogenic and parasitic and succumb to the already present parasites/pathogens .. in this case ich.

please read up on the disease process of the ich parasite before you dispense incorrect information.

mvigor

Aquarium Hobbyist
Mar 24, 2005
Lunchlady land
www.vigorfamily.com
this is absolutely incorrect. please read up on the disease process of the ich parasite before you dispense incorrect information.
No, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask that of you.

I know that is it definitely possible that ICH is in an aquarium, slowly living out its life cycle, feeding off of fish that are constantly successful in fighting off a major outbreak, all the while bothering their gills and giving them a bit of stress.

But ICH can be quite easily **completely removed** from an aquarium at which point neither low quality water nor any other stress will cause a recurrence until more ICH parasite are introduced to the tank from another infected source.

I don't know what aquarium books from the 70's and 80's you cite as your sources, but the MYTH that ICH is in aquariums all the time has been known as just that, a myth, for quite a while now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store