peacock bass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beezer720

AC Members
Nov 11, 2005
Detroit
My peacock bass (list of fish in sig.) is still rather small, and seems to keep to himself and at the same time is releatively unbothered by the other fish. I am kind of worried about how things may develop as he continues to grow. Will he possibly eat the smaller fish, which currently would be the exodons and convict? When he is larger (10" +) will he eat any fish that would fit in his mouth, regardless of aggressiveness and speed. Also as he gets bigger, with the convict near its max size, will it fit into his mouth and therefore be possible food. I have heard that the peacock is not neccessarily the most aggressive fish but due to its size and speed can hold its own in most tanks. If I lose an exodon or two I will not be that upset, but if I lose the convict, which is beautiful, I might be a little pissed. Also I know I will have to do some moving of fish or upgrading of tanks within a couple of years, so please don't tell me I will ultimately need to do this. Thanks in advance for any help.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
will a peacock bass eat your other fish? gee, i don't know, what do you think? is a 120 gallon tank large enough for a mature peacock bass? gee, i don't know, what do you think?

I am kind of worried about how things may develop as he continues to grow.
yes, i think you're right to worry.

If I lose an exodon or two I will not be that upset
ok, time for me to get on my soap box. when you "adopt" a fish, it's no different than a dog or cat ... you take on the responsibility to provide the best environment possible with the focus being on how you can insure that the fish in question lives a long and healthy life. to say that you wouldn't be upset if you "lose an exodon or two" shows that you are not taking that responsibility seriously. why keep fish if you're only going to kill them? makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
without grabbing the ruler as has already been done :) yes, you'll have problems. except for the pleco and possibly the RD and GT depending on growth rates, you've got a few feeders in there for the peacock. I was just talking to a friend of mine yesterday that spawned a pair of peacocks a few years ago and she talked about how the female would try to attack them (6 foot people) as they walked past the glass. I doubt a 5" convict will pose much of a threat. You'd need a 500+ gallon tank to possibly have enough space for those fish to not kill eachother. Your only hope is to keep the temperature low enough to keep aggression/spawning moods at their lowest. Kyle

greycrane

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
Peacock bass are one of the most sought after freshwater fish by anglers, because of their strength and fighting ability. It's not unusual to see them hit 15-20+ pounds. I think there are 6 different species, so you need to find out what you have. One of the species doesn’t reach much over 3 pounds.

You may be able to raise a fish like this in a 500 gal tank, but I imagine you will also need at least a 50 gal to keep its food stocked.

beezer720

AC Members
Nov 11, 2005
Detroit
I plan/hope to keep the bass in the 125 until it is btw 1-1.5'. I hope by then to get about a 250g for just the bass, and keep the rest in the 125. I have been told by multiple lfs that the larger fish should be fine with them until then. I wanted to hear from some people who might have had experience with them so I posted here. Snake, I would imagine, based on previous exp. and past growth, that the GT and RD should be about 9-10" at least w/in 4-5 months. I feed them just about everthing they could possibly eat at multiple times a day just enough. This has proven to result in very fast growth and colors for me. The bass is still small but growing quickly. So you think that eventually the con would get eaten, guaranteed? Would you think that as soon as the con/exodons could fit in the mouth of the bass I should move them? Also, what about the chocolate? Do you think that I will have prob with the RD and GT beating up on her. She is a tank but I have heard that there could be problems there. Anyone have exp. with chocs and other large cichlids. Grey I have read a bunch on the peacock, and they say nothing hits lures/fish harder. That is what sold me on it in the store watching them eat, although brief, is really exciting. And yeah I thought about how big a pain in the a** it's gonna be to feed this thing in years, but anticipate making some decent loot by then. I checked out what kind it was a while ago and I believe it is the one that is the most common in the aquaria trade (forgot specifically which one), plus it still resembles a juvi with no color so I will be certain soon enough. I believe it grows btw 2-3' in the aquarium. Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
liv2padl said:
ok, time for me to get on my soap box. when you "adopt" a fish, it's no different than a dog or cat ... you take on the responsibility to provide the best environment possible with the focus being on how you can insure that the fish in question lives a long and healthy life. to say that you wouldn't be upset if you "lose an exodon or two" shows that you are not taking that responsibility seriously. why keep fish if you're only going to kill them? makes no sense to me.
So what if he doesn't care if a few fish become feeders..I basically feel the same way about my danios.Whats the difference between those fish being eaten or feeder guppies,feeder goldfish,minnows,etc?

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Good grief. How this thread avoided getting reported to me is beyond my understanding. A certain level of disagreement, up to and including mild profanity, is understood. However, this went way over the line. Please think before posting in future. Or at least, go back and edit yourselves after you've blown off the steam.

Thread edited for content and closed.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store