I'm new, lots of advice (long)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NGerdes

AC Members
Jan 19, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
I've kept a 10 gallon aquarium for over a year, and think I have the fish thing down pretty good. Now I've just aquired a 40 gallon tank and want to have a planted tank. I'm not settled on the fish, but am leaning toward Angels with som kribs or rams, Harlequin Rasboras, some chain loaches, and a plece. I'm not for sure though. I do know that I want a planted tank. I've never done this before, and have done some research but came here for some advice person to person, so here we go... I'm thinking about Java ferns, Crypts and possibly some anubas, because I've been told that these are descent for beginners and are forgiving (if there is such a thing with plants). I will probably include some java moss on the driftwood I will add.

Questions:

I haven't purchased most of this stuff yet so I'm flexible on this...

-For light, I will probably go about 60 to 80 watts for 1.5 to 2 Watts/Gallon. What is the best kind? Floresent, Halogen, etc...

-For a filter, should I go with a canaster filter or something in a HOB or BioWheel. I know that any kind of drip filter will cause loss of CO2, so I'm reluctant about the BioWheel or HOB.

-If I do use a canaster filter, will I need any type of CO2 injection?

-What kind of substrate should I use? If I'm not mistaking, most of the plants above, (at least the Java Fern) do not need sand to root, but will root in rocks, is this correct? Should I use rocks (how big) or sand?

-I haven't gotten much on Flourite, I need some advice on this too.

Sorry for the long post... But I want to do this right the first time. Any other advice is more than welcome.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
ok...im british, so my views on planted aquaria and equipment and that may differ from yours. but...
i usually work in tank dimensions rather than volume...but im guessing for a tank your size you would need 2 fluoresent tubes, preferrably one aimed at plants, and other at showing off colours of your fish. i keep plants in tanks filtered by canister filters no probs - and i dont add carbon dioxide at the moment, but am i going to soon in a hope to improve plant growth. the best planting substrate over here is thought to be laterite, but i keep plants in gravel bottomed tanks and sand bottomed tanks no probs. java fern actually grows better attached 2 bogwood...fishing line is best for attaching this. as for other plants, dont forget vallis - you will be amazed at results you will get, ludwigia - 5 cuttings in my tank grew practically to a bush in just afew months. as for others, get a plant collection. they usually contain good hardy plant for begginers, as well as some real good oddballs. hope this helps.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
There are a lot of people on this forum who swear by cannister filters. I have a 40 gallon tank and use an AquaClear 200(hang on the back) and a Fluval Powerhead/filter combo which I use to distribute the CO2. These filters do a great job on the tank and are easy to work with. Also the flow rate on the AquaClear is adjustable to keep the surface agitation to a minimum if you want it that way.
The plants you mention are all good starter plants and will developer nicely for you. Ludwegia Repens is also a nice starter plant for backgrounds and will add a little red color to the tank. Java Ferns IME, grow MUCH better attached to driftwood than in substrate.
In my opinion Flourite is the best all around substrate you can buy if you intend to seriously cultivate plants. It looks great, and improves with age. It's expensive, but it's a one time expense and will pay dividends in the long run. I use fluorescent lighting and am very happy with it. I have 110 watts over a 40gal. which is fine for me. My advice would be not to go beyond 3 watts per gallon until you've gotten the hang of balancing a planted aquarium. The more wattage you have the more critical the balance of light to ferts is and battling algae comes in to play. What you're thinking, wattage wise, will allow you to grow many nice plants.
Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store