Chlorine vs. Chloramine

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EcoPit

AC Members
Nov 30, 2005
Lake County, IL
Everyone says to contact your water supplier to find out what they use. Coudn't I just dechlorinate a bucket of water and do an ammonia test on it? If there is high ammonia, then they use chloramine? Or could tap water contain ammonia other than that in chloramine?

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I'm not sure how the ammonia testing would tell you anything. You can buy chlorine/chloramine test kits just like for ammonia, nitrite, etc. why not take your tapwater and test it for those? Kyle

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I'm not sure how the ammonia testing would tell you anything. You can buy chlorine/chloramine test kits just like for ammonia, nitrite, etc. why not take your tapwater and test it for those? Kyle
Pretty much yes you can. Use a simple dechlorinator (sodium Thisulfate) and then do an ammonia test afterwards. The only thing I do not know is if the ammonia test will pick up on the chloramines before you dechlorinate or not. I don't think it will though. My old AP Master Test kit came with a chlorine test, and dechlorinator with instructions to test tap water exactly as you have outlined.

Test the tap, dechlorinate and then test the dechlorinated water. Either way if you have ammonia from your tap (chloramines or otherwise) you will need to know this.

dave

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
If you use sodium thiosulfate to dechlorinate your water, testing for ammonia will let you know if your water company uses chloramines. Most water companies provide a consumer confidence report which tells you what they use for disinfection purposes. My water company reports that they use copper sulfate in their resorvoirs to control algae and use chloramines + chlorine and ozone. I hate the fact that they put copper in my water supply :eek:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
My utility ordinarily uses chlorine, but reserves the right to use chloramine on an as-needed basis. Without the chlorine/chloramine test kit, I would have no way of knowing what is in the water right now. If it is chlorine-only, I age without additives. If it is chloramine, I add Prime.

MrPpers

AC Members
Dec 14, 2005
Jungle Labs has a simple test strip that test for total and free chlorine. Just subtract the free chlorine reading from the total reading and that will tell you how many ppm chloramine if any is in your tap water. I have never been able to get freshly dechlored water to ever read positive for any ammonia. I doubt any of the commercialy available test kits are sensitive enough to get a reading unless you have a very high ppm of chloramines in your water. My readings average about .5ppm chloramines.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store