Crushed coral to DSB

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MichaelStern

AC Members
Sep 5, 2001
New Rochelle, NY
Let's take this baby out for a test drive.:D

I currently have a 120 gallon FO tank. I have conventional filtration (i.e. wet dry/protein skimmer/uv sterilizer) and do not plan to go to live rock anytime soon. I also have a very little bit of crushed coral on the bottom, not even enough to cover the whole bottom with 1/4". The crushed coral does tend to turn green and look not too attractive. Does it pay to get rid of it and have nothing. Does it serve any purpous for the fish?

The next question is, should I replace it with a DSB. Does a DSB serve any purpose without live rock?

Finally, if I do add a DSB, do I need to take the fish out?

Thanks guys.

The site looks great.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
yes a DSB will work fine without LR.

depending on what kind of fish you have, it might not be a real good idea however, many fish are diggers and will render your DSB useless pretty dang quickly

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
I'd get rid of the CC and go with the sand bed. But beware of the changes that come with it. You will want and need the LR because it will help the filtration process. I changed my CC and went to an aragonite bed, about 3", and thought the same as you about not putting any LR in. But the dead corals just don't look the same. At first my bed really got a heavy coat of green algea, but now I have no problems with algea like I did with CC. I am having a paracite problem now and I can't use medicines because of the hermits and LR. Oh well, everything comes with difficulties.

heedicus

aqua-nerd in training
Dec 23, 2001
Boise, ID
www.skijor.bravepages.com
I would say go for the DSB.
if nothing else for asthetic reasons. I really love the look of a clean white sand bed. Fish whisperer has a great swap out article if someone out there has the link. I used the process he wrote out and it worked great for me. And no you dont need LR to have a DSB, but you do need to seed the DSB with a LS activator kit (www.ispf.com i think is the webpage and inland aquatics-dont know that page.)
tren

heedicus

aqua-nerd in training
Dec 23, 2001
Boise, ID
www.skijor.bravepages.com
IMHO go with inland aquatics or with indopacific sea farms (that was the name of the company ipsf.com i finally remembered). I bought some garf activator, i live here in boise so I figured i could get a good deal on shipping. It is not much as live sand activator as it is rubble activator. There is very little sand involved. Personally I favored IPSF a lot more than garf.
t

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store