Canister filter on 90g w/sump... recipe for disaster?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

macphoto

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
I had planned on a canister filter (maybe a Filstar XP2) for my 90g FOWLR, for those occasions when I wanted to run carbon, Phosban, or floss to clear up the water. Most of the time, it would run with no media and simply provide a little additional circulation. I had read that it was a good idea to drill a small hole or two on the intake (a bit below the waterline) in case the filter developed a leak, so that it wouldn't empty half the aquarium water onto the floor.

However, I have just realized a fatal flaw in my particular situation... since I have a sump, if the canister filter began leaking, the water level in the aquarium would not drop until the sump was nearly empty. With a sump and a 10g auto topoff, as much as 25 gallons of water could be pumped out before the level in the aquarium dropped and broke the canister filter's siphon.

Eeeek!

I realize that the above is truly a worst-case scenario, as I'd probably spot the leak before it had a chance to leak that much. But I'm still nervous about it. Are my worries legitimate? Are leaks in these filters common enough to make using one in my setup a bad idea?

I considered a HOB, but I'm not sure if I want to have it hanging off the back of my tank (that's why I initially decided on a canister... I could keep it in the stand). This might sound crazy, but could I put a moderately sized HOB on the SUMP? I know that I would not gain any additional circulation in the main tank, but at least I'd have an easy way to do chemical and mechanical filtration as needed.

--Mike

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
I am using a cannister on my 40 gallon reef, many poeple have "booed" at my setup, but it's working, i have bleached coral rubble as the filter media, which is providing anerobic bacteria, which is removing the nitrates and they are undetectable on my test kit and also at the lfs, also i am running a surface skimmer attachment for the cannister, and i clean it once every 2 weeks. Anyway, when we have power outs my cannister doesn't leak, if you want circulation, i would buy an extra powerhead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store