Ideas for a 20 gal South American tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

appaloosatb

Took the road less taken
May 24, 2002
Byron, MN
appaloosatb.bookcrossing.com
Hi all! I haven't posted here for almost 2 years... been busy with school and dog training, and with my tanks staying stable I didn't have much reason to post. :)

Unfortunately, I recently had the biggest fish in my 20 gallon die, resulting in a huge war for the top spot on the totem pole which eventually resulted in all the fish killing off each other. :( Except, of course, for my South American Bumblebee catfish (Microglanis iheringi), who hid out during the fighting and now has the tank to himself.

Since he's the only one left, I'd like to restock the tank with other compatible fish that hail from the same neck of the woods (Colombia and Venezuela). The tank is a 20 gallon tall, so I can't get too elaborate. I'm thinking about going whole-hog and doing the planted tank thing again... haven't done a planted tank in quite awhile and have been missing it. This tank has been up and running for about 6 years now, I have large gravel substrate and the pH tends to run around 7.5 or so. The temp fluctuates between 70-74 degrees. There are lots of great hiding places, and if I go the planted route I plan to add more driftwood as well.

I'd like something that could help with the snail infestation (I do regularly "de-snail" the tank and transfer all the snails to the loaches in my 29 gallon, who appreciate the snack). I really enjoy small, colorful schooling fish (but the fish would have to be big enough that they don't easily fit in the catfish's mouth), with maybe one larger fish. I was also looking at possibly a Zebra Pleco (Hypancistrus zebra - not from the same area of South America, but at least it's from the right continent).

The catfish has become quite outgoing during the last year - he's still mostly nocturnal, but comes out around 7pm so I have a few hours to enjoy his antics before the tank lights go off. I feed a mixed diet - mostly sinking wafers, tablets, flakes, and fresh bloodworms right now because I've gotten lazy :rolleyes: .

Any ideas? I'm excited about restocking this tank! My only other tank that is running right now is a mixed community (rummynose tetras, guppies, an opal gourami, a few loaches, and a small pleco [will go to a friend's pond when it outgrows this tank]). I used to keep cichlids, and enjoyed them, but decided against that route for now. One last consideration... I may be moving in the next year or so, so fish that are not too easily stressed would be nice.

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
well first of all i know nothing about that catfish you have so these suggestions might not work. If you would liek to keep cichlids again maybe go with a type of Ram, maybe blue rams or bolivian rams. They aren't aggressive to other species in the tank. they like to hang out near the bottom though. I dont know how big that catfish is but i dont think it can swallow a ram. Maybe you could get some angelfish. they like to stay near the mid to top columm of water

appaloosatb

Took the road less taken
May 24, 2002
Byron, MN
Onikun said:
I dont know how big that catfish is but i dont think it can swallow a ram.
Thanks for your suggestions! The catfish is about 3.5", so no, I don't think he could swallow a ram. Anything slim-bodied and less than 3/4" would probably be an easy meal in the middle of the night, unless it had some type of body-armor or such to make it less palatable.

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Another option for cichlids would be apistogramma. There are lots of different types and most of them are quite colorful. Laetacara curviceps are also about the same size and are great fish. I have two of them and they are deadly on snails. Maybe you could round out the tank with some hatchet fish and possibly a small group of emperor tetras? I would recommend otos as well but I'm not sure if they would be a snack for your catfish or not.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
angel fish are too big for a 20g - keyhole cichlids are suppossed to be nice, blue, gold or bolivian rams stay small and peaceful - i know you don't want cichlids but they might be your best bet since you want to stay in south america

or get some schooling fish - what about hatchet fish at the top? they're great -

g'luck

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama

appaloosatb

Took the road less taken
May 24, 2002
Byron, MN
Thanks for the ideas on the cichlids! I'll look into the different species mentioned...

kcooley, any links on a mangrove root tank?

TetraFreaky, I haven't thought of doing a small biotope. Might be neat. :)

I've been thinking about moving the rummynose from my other tank into this one. Not sure about their compatibility with the catfish though... anyone have any experience with this? I love my rummynose! ;)

Kissofthegorami

Broke College Student
Feb 24, 2005
Boston,MA
Yea I wouldn't do angels. A 20 gallon is too small. 2 Blue rams would be great. Rummy nose like a large school and they get to be 2" long. I would go with a school on smaller tetras like neon, or cardinal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store