South American Bumblebee Catfish... compatibility questions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

appaloosatb

Took the road less taken
May 24, 2002
Byron, MN
appaloosatb.bookcrossing.com
Hi all,

I have a South American Bumblebee Catfish who currently has a 20 gallon tank to himself (long story). He's about 3.5".

I'd love to put some rummynose tetras in with him, but don't know if he would eat them? He has eaten fish up to 1/2" large before (anything that fits in his mouth). I'm also wondering about getting a few more of his kind. If I add young (about 1.5") SABCs in with him, is he likely to be okay or will he try to kill them? Are these guys ever territorial?

Does anyone have one (or more) of these guys, and if so, what do you have them in with? I've had this fish for 4.5 years now, he's a lot of fun!

tlaug

AC Members
Feb 14, 2005
Are you sure its a south american bumble bee or an asian. The south americans grow a lot bigger then the asian. South americans get around a 12" or more I believe Asian max out about 5" Could you post a picture. Any tank mate will have to be larger then the catfish, and still this is hit and miss at times.

dysfunctionaljd

AC Members
Sep 28, 2005
I have a south american bumblebee catfish and i rarely see it, it is always hiding, very nocturnal, i have to have the tank light out, and the lights out in the room for him to come out. I have had him for over 6 months, and he is only about 4 inches, not much bigger than when we got him. I had heard it was the other way around, the asian one is the one that got large, and the south american stayed smaller. I keep mine with an assortment of gold and cherry barbs that are all around 2 inches, he has never come close to them, he prefers to stay down on the bottom and get food from around the rocks. so yours might be ok with some other fish.

found this on planet catfish, stays small, fine with other fish, if yours looks like this, then i wouldnt be too worried.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/pseudopi/microgla/303_F.PHP

Last edited:

appaloosatb

Took the road less taken
May 24, 2002
Byron, MN
appaloosatb.bookcrossing.com
Yes, I'm positive this guy is a south american, NOT an asian. When I first got him, he was very shy too - I probably saw him three times in the first year I had him. The longer I have him, the more comfortable he becomes though - I see him almost every day now, usually around 7-10pm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store