And so it begins!!------72 gallon.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
And so it begins!!------110 gallon SPS reef.

Well, it won't be a 90 gallon like i initially intended, but i'll still be doing a fairly large tank. My 72 gallon Bow front, which was before, heavily planted.

Today i ordered a Salinity Refractometer and a Zoomed 228 sweeping powerhead. I allready own one of these, and love them!! The sweeping motion they make will give me some great random flow in the tank. Now obviously it will need some more attention since salt build up will kill any sweeping action, but im more then ready to give it the attention it deserves. LOL! Here are some links for what ive purchased today......

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/cshop/TESY-J107.html?L+scstore+xjgc8085ff7db37d+1135303658

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/cshop/PHZM-PS40.html?L+scstore+xjgc8085ff7db37d+1135304911

Next week i'll be picking up a used Aquamedic turbo 1000 Multi skimmer.....

http://www.aqua-medic.de/eng/produkte/skimmer/turboflotor1000multi.htm

By the way guys, im getting a good deal on some rock. It's miaki live rock (semi-cured), and normally goes for anywhere between 8-10 bucks a pound canadian. Well, i found a guy whos giving me a great deal on it. 7 bucks a pound, and no tax!!

Anyone have any experience with miaki rock?? I can't find any info on this rock anywhere??

Pictures will come as things arrive!! :)

Last edited:

reefrash

bartender another round of skimmate
Dec 1, 2005
Montara, Ca.
www.robincampbellband.com
I don't know this.... how do you call it.... miaki rock. pics please.

reefrash

bartender another round of skimmate
Dec 1, 2005
Montara, Ca.
www.robincampbellband.com
I like it, and just think you'll be one of the only guys on the block without Fiji rock.

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
reefrash said:
I like it, and just think you'll be one of the only guys on the block without Fiji rock.
Ha!

Well, i might add some fiji for the base.

Im think of getting a box of Walts and Smits Ultra grade (60% coraline coverage) premium fiji rock. This rock is also supposed to come with corals, and other stars, etc on it. Best of all, it is stink free, and have very few bad critters on it.

I got an excellent price at a local LFS on that rock as well. $5 canadian bucks a pound or $250 + tax for 57 pounds of that Walt and smith rock. My plan is to go with 57 pounds of walt and smith on the bottom, and then add another 23 pounds of Miakii for the top portion. In total id have 80 pounds of live rock.

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Swimfins said:
I would have bought some 50 pounds or so of base rock and then about 20-30 pounds of good live rock to seed it. Save boo-koo bucks (for other stuff) ;)
ya, well, im only doing that because im getting to rock cheap.

Walt and smith ultra grade premium live rock = $5 a pound

Base rock at other LFS = $5 a pound.

I'll take walt and smith for the bottom portion any day of the week at that price!! :duh:

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
I get premium grade LR from the Great Barrier Reef for $10 a kilo, australian dollars aswell, is that a good price? Also i think it is better to buy Premium rock as it has more surface area and is more porous, which mean it is a better biological filter for your aquarium, it is fill with anerobic and aerobic bacteria, which eliminate nitrates and means you water will be of better quality.

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
mysis said:
I get premium grade LR from the Great Barrier Reef for $10 a kilo, australian dollars aswell, is that a good price? Also i think it is better to buy Premium rock as it has more surface area and is more porous, which mean it is a better biological filter for your aquarium, it is fill with anerobic and aerobic bacteria, which eliminate nitrates and means you water will be of better quality.

Really?? I didn't know that. If that is the case, it seem im headed in the right direction.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store