How can I tell my goldfish's age?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lindsey13

Goldfish are not food
Dec 10, 2005
Pasadena, CA
Hi, I have 3 orandas and a 1 telescope. They are about 1 1/2 inches from top to bottom (not including tail). Can anyone tell me how old they are? Also when is breeding season and how old will they be when they begin to breed? (I'm not interested in breeding however.) Thanks I appreciate it.

camcorder

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
you cant tell a goldfishes age from its size, i have had rescue fish that are 4 or 5 years old and are tiny from having less then 10 gallons and really healthy goldies that grow to 5 inches with in theere first year or two of life

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
I've heard that you can tell a goldfish's age by counting the rings on it's body, like when you count the rings on a tree trunk to tell how old it is. I have never bothered to try this as it just sounds like a load of crap.

Persimmon

Bubbles Bubbles
Jan 17, 2006
NO CA
You can't tell a goldfish from it's size. It depends on treatment, water amounts, food, etc. As far as breeding, some won't try to breed at all. It depends on water warmth changes, etc. There is not a true prediction on when your fish will try and breed.

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
My goldfish started laying eggs at about 2 years of age. They probably waited that long because the tank was too small. Once I got them into a larger tank, they laid eggs almost every week. It doesn't matter the season. If the tank is clean and the params are steady, the fish will breed. Of course, this is assuming that you have a breeding pair.

meaghan9930

AC Members
Oct 27, 2005
HOBIE237

How does your Cobalt lobster like the cooler water with the goldfish? I was thinking about getting one of those but I wasnt sure if it could handle the water of my goldfish tank

hobie237

So my girlfriend got me into fish..
Nov 1, 2005
Newark, DE (u of del)
meaghan9930 said:
HOBIE237

How does your Cobalt lobster like the cooler water with the goldfish? I was thinking about getting one of those but I wasnt sure if it could handle the water of my goldfish tank

He's fine. Keep in mind that there are crayfish not unlike the blue lobsters who live in creeks and streams outside all year- in water colder than the room-temp goldfish water. You just have to make sure they're well fed, or they'll come after the goldfish.

Persimmon

Bubbles Bubbles
Jan 17, 2006
NO CA
I wanted to quickly thank you for knowing how to use apostrophy s :)

That is getting rare nowadays....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store