Opinions on sump design needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gbundersea

AC Members
Dec 31, 2002
New Orleans, LA
www.gbundersea.com
Due to the size of my stand and its main door, off-the-shelf containers with the volume I want simply will not fit. I therefore came up with a plan for a 3-unit set of custom-built acrylic containers plumbed together. I've already received a good quote on them from jensalt.com. (UPDATE: Jensalt was a HUGE mistake! Click here for details.) The total voume will be about 36 gallons. This is for a 120-gallon FOWLR tank. I have a Mag 9.5 for a return, and a LifeReef overflow box.

As you can see in the attached graphic, one sump unit contains a filter sock above it for easy mechanical filtration, housed in a Rubbermaid canister with large holes on its bottom and sides. It outflows onto a drip plate atop an eggcrate container of Bio-balls which rises partly above the waterline, providing great air/water exchange. I'm using this arrangement in my 29-gallon's DIY sump, and it works very well. On it, I have a LifeReef box and a Mag 7 for a return. (Yes, it DOES turn the water over!) Also inside the first box will be my Turboflotor 1000 skimmer, fed with an in-sump 600GPH pump.

The outflow from the first box is teed, with the main flow going to the 2nd box, containing heater, any chemicals, etc and the return pump. The secondary flow from the tee goes through a ball valve to the 3rd box, which will be a refugium with live sand and live rock. I've read a lot about how flow rates through the fuge should be lower, thus the tee and valve. The outflow from the refugium goes to the 2nd box with the return pump.

In effect, this configuration makes the 3 boxes one big sump. My only concern is that the pump would drain the 2nd (return) box and the inflow to it couldn't keep up. I think I've addressed this in the design though, since the Mag has 3/4" fittings, and I'll use 1" plumbing throughout the sump. 1" pipe has 77% more area than 3/4", so it shouldn't be a problem, and the LifeReef box can handle a huge volume of water.

I'd definitely like some other opinions on this before I build it though. All comments, criticisms, and suggestions from you experts are most welcome!

Also, am I over-engineering this? Are the concerns about flow rate through a refugium simply based on not blowing away critters? Since I intend for it to be critterless, with macroalgae only, could I eliminate the valve and use the 2nd (middle) unit as the fuge, and the 3rd one for the return? A spraybar in the fuge would spread out the stream and keep it above the sand bed, but the fuge would indeed be passing 100% of the sump's total flow through it. Would this be acceptable? If so, it would simplify and lessen the cost of the plumbing.

Thanks in advance for your input.

sump2.jpg

Last edited:

gbundersea

AC Members
Dec 31, 2002
New Orleans, LA
www.gbundersea.com
Setback: Jensalt horror story

The sump project suffered a setback thanks to my horrible experience with Jen's Saltwater Haven (jensalt.com.) I bought 3 utterly defective acrylic sumps from them. The sumps were so poorly built as to be unusable. The edges were unfinished, the corners didn't line up, and the seams were unbelievably bad. Even the best seam was full of bubbles, and many were full of large gaps in the glue. In some spots, the gaps went all the way through! After Jensalt refused to refund my money or even acknowledge the problems, I actually broke them up and threw them away.

You can see all the details on my sump horror story site.

SpongeBob

Fry Cook
Nov 27, 2002
Bikini Bottom
Wow. I like your passion! I certainly will never by from them!

I had a great experience with www.wetdryfilter.com. Check out http://www.wetdryfilter.com/newer_sumps.htm. Go to the bottom to see my actual installation. No complaints. Christian is very customer focused. I even got him to ship the Houston area only sump to Buffalo (cost me $20 but well worth it).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store