First Lionfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bar16

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
Just got my first lionfish i have a 75g tank... This is my first fish in the tank the only thing i had in the tank before were one blue damsel and one yellow tail damsel and a few other damsels which didnt making throught the tank maturing process..anyway my only question is what shall i feed the guy its a big lion aprox 6-7 inches bought him for 100 bucks had to drive two hours to get him. Will he eat the damsels in the tank???

Mahlhavoc

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
He probably will eat them if they will fit in his mouth, if not, the damsels will harrass him to no end, nipping his fins etc . .

See if he will eat things 'non live' or try to teach him to, you'll be better off in the end, and so will he.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Feeder shrimp are good to get them eating, if you live near the ocean you can catch your own or the LFS will sell them 20c each, get about 15 or so.

damkcore134

AC Members
Dec 6, 2005
dude 100 dollars, pretty pricy but definelty worth it how does it behave. I just got one too, in my 125, mines rather slugish.

Bar16

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
I just dumped about 20 shrimp in the tank and the he wont touch them is it ok to just leave them in there????

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
I don't know about leaving the shrimp in there, but I do know that when it gets hungry enough, it will eat.

You should also try to wean it onto frozen food, you can do this by spearing a piece of food on a feeder stick and wiggle it to make it appear like its alive.

Good Luck! Lions are awesome fish!

Freddy :dive2:

edikpok

AC Members
Jan 1, 2006
I am not sure about your lionfish but i know that mine will eat only feeder fish or floating food. so i feed it mostly with koi food ( the little floating round balls) and give it a feeder fish on the weekends. he seems to love this set-up.

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
edikpok said:
I am not sure about your lionfish but i know that mine will eat only feeder fish or floating food. so i feed it mostly with koi food ( the little floating round balls) and give it a feeder fish on the weekends. he seems to love this set-up.

That's probably the worst diet I've ever heard of, for any saltwater fish.

Not only are those koi pellets worthless, when it comes to nutrition for saltwater fish, but feeding those feeder fish will only lead to liver and kidney disease and death.

You need to do much more research, my friend.

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Feeding any type of fresh water food or freshwater fish to saltwater fish isnt a healthy diet and will cause health problems eventually, which is why its good to use stuff marine fish eat, like silversides (even salmon can work), or shrimp

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store