bristlenose problem???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
i had some green algea in my tank and recently on a recommendation got a Gold Spot Bristlenose Pleco to go to work on it. He did such a great job that all the visible algae was gone in a matter of 2 days. Problem : he doesn't seem to have enough to eat , won't take algae wafers ( from what i can see) and I even tried putting Zucchini on a rock like some have suggested...no nibbles even. He went from a black color to something of a spotted looking background in the last couple days....should I be worried??

steve

AMiR UNC

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
I feed my small bristlenose zucchini and squash...I cut it into chunks and boil with water in the microwave for 2 minutes until it sinks. Cool it down and drop it in. By the next day he has eaten every bit of it right down to the peel. If I keep the peel in longer, he'll take care of that too. I've found that it won't eat vegetables unless its very soft...boiling makes it real soft and retain water so it sinks on its own.

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
thanks for the tips...if anyone else has some experience tips , they would be greatly appreciated!!

steve

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I dont know anything about yours. but I have 3 albino bristlenose plecos in my 20 gallon tank. I know there is not enough algae for them. I feed the tank 1 algae disc, tetramin flakes in the morning and at night. with the 3 plecos, I have 9 serpaes (getting rid of soon) and 10 petricola catfish. Every time I see the tank the bellies of the plecos are always FULL. So they must be eating something...

One more thing: add a female: they will lay eggs twice a month (mine does) and the male takes care of the eggs, so its easy to raise the fry :)

Bristlenose's are a really nice pleco I may add.

PS. I never feed vegatables. I tried lettuce one night and they never touched it. But I can assume that the Nutritional value of them is HIGH! sounds like you can try it.. or try my method.

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
Ok, I am also on the Zuchinni train here. (wow, that could be taken the wrong way...)

I boil mine for a couple minutes, then rubber band it to a rock and drop it to the bottom.

One zuchinni squash will make enough for me to drop a piece in all three of my tanks with pleco's in them and have a good portion to ziplock and throw in the freezer for later.

My clown loaches also seem to love them

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
are these Bristlenose nocturnal?? I noticed for the last couple days since I've gotten it, it was going to town on the algae as soon as I put it in the tank...with the lights on. Then the last two days it was hanging out in my cave most of the day only to be found on the substrate later at night when the tank lights came off, then retreated back to the cave. I'm not used to any kind of bottom feeder behaviour, or anything nocturnal.....just trying to get a feel for them.. thanks so much for your ideas and opinions!

steve

JackDonkey

AC Members
My bristlenose plecos don't seem to care wether it's day or night in my tank, I only have the light on about 3 hours a day. I usually feed them while the lights are on, and then I shut the lights off about 15 minutes after I feed them, so my shy zebra pleco can come out and eat what's left. That probably makes them less shy in the light. They have never seemed to care though if it was light or not, since the day I got them.

koolkatzfish

AC Members
Dec 7, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
Mine love the hikari algae wafers, and will eat zuchini also.
Don't worry about the blotching thing. Mine do that occasionally, I think its a camofluage thing. You could also try spinach or rommaine lettuce, no iceberg lettuce, not nutritional enough.
Mine are also active day and night, but if they are nervous, I think they are more nocturnal. Make sure to have some caves for it to hide in and then it will be out more.

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
I am happy to say that I believe my bristlenose has somewhat gotten over his initial anxiety of the tank. Over the last week I've seen him out and about the tank during the wee A.M. hours that I've had to get up at....mostly throughout the day as well. He seems to be actively scouring the tank , which I am quite happy about. Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!

steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store