Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

04cobratorchred

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
I am doing a discus tank for the first time its either going to be a 90gallon or 40gallon. I am wondering what other fish go good with discus since they like such a high temp. and lower PH. Thanks for any help.

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
cories are great blue rams, neons, bloodfins, rasboras, i have angels, cories, rams, bloodfins and rasboras with mine, with mine, they get along great

if this is your first time ever keeping them, i suggest doing as much research about them as possible, they are not the easiest fish to care for

Dkarc

Orlando Discus
Any of the above metioned fish would go well with discus, including bushynose plecos...

the 90 gallon would be best...give the fish more room to swim and give you more leeway if anything goes wrong or you are leanient on water changes.

what is the pH of your water once aged?? Discus do NOT require a low pH to be happy. They can be kept in a vast array of pH values quite easily. As long as you are able to do a 50% water change 1-2x a week, discus are quite easy to care for. If you are not able to do a water change everyday/everyother day, then a slightly acidic pH would work best...if you are able to do the frequent water changes necessary, then you can easily get by with using straight tap water that has been aged, heated, and dechlorinated. The more water changes you can do, the better with discus. If you do frequent and large water changes on a consistent basis, you will notice the discus eat more voraciously, and will eat from you hand too...not to mention that they will grow faster and healthier. If you dont do the water changes necessary then you will see that the discus will hide behind anything in your tank, will be stressed constantly, eat slowly and grow very slowly. Do the frequent water changes and your fish will show you how much they appreciate it ;-)

-Ryan

04cobratorchred

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
Thanks a lot for the help. the reason i was wanting to go with the 40 was because of water changes i was thinking it would be a lot easer to change 20 gallons of water instead of 45gallons of water. Also just wondering what you keep your temp at? i have read they like 84-86 just checking to make sure they really like it that hot.

Dkarc said:
Any of the above metioned fish would go well with discus, including bushynose plecos...

the 90 gallon would be best...give the fish more room to swim and give you more leeway if anything goes wrong or you are leanient on water changes.

what is the pH of your water once aged?? Discus do NOT require a low pH to be happy. They can be kept in a vast array of pH values quite easily. As long as you are able to do a 50% water change 1-2x a week, discus are quite easy to care for. If you are not able to do a water change everyday/everyother day, then a slightly acidic pH would work best...if you are able to do the frequent water changes necessary, then you can easily get by with using straight tap water that has been aged, heated, and dechlorinated. The more water changes you can do, the better with discus. If you do frequent and large water changes on a consistent basis, you will notice the discus eat more voraciously, and will eat from you hand too...not to mention that they will grow faster and healthier. If you dont do the water changes necessary then you will see that the discus will hide behind anything in your tank, will be stressed constantly, eat slowly and grow very slowly. Do the frequent water changes and your fish will show you how much they appreciate it ;-)

-Ryan

Dkarc

Orlando Discus
Sure, a 40 gallon would be most certainly easier for water changes...but a smaller tank means you can only have so many discus in the tank, which is fine, as long as the water changes are done. For a 40 gallon tank, you could get by with as many as 6 discus...just as long as the water changes are done.

yes, 84-86 is ideal.

-Ryan

kcooley

freeswimming
Dec 14, 2005
MN
i agree with the blue rams. i have a few in my discus tank and they are more resistant and more tolerant of the tank and discus. they live in similar water conditions and they both tend to be picky fish, but they are not very agressive

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
OH...I so want a discus tank.....saw a 46 bowfront with hood, light and stand at walmart for 197$ !!!

I agree with keeping rams with the discus. They just seem to be the perfect tankmates. A nice school of some type of smaller tetra might be nice too...but I'm not sure which types would be able to tolerate the warmer water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store