Clown Loaches that Don't Eat Snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
About a week ago I was cleaning my 6g and while I was giving Buddha a soak in bleach to kill algae and snail eggs, I saw some snails riding the back of his head.

I figured I'd give my clown loaches a treat and throw them in my main tank.

One of the snails is naught but an empty shell now, but the other snail is cruising all over the tank having a grand old time.

It's not a big snail by any means. Just your typical little snail-found-on-Buddha's-head variety.

Are there snails they won't eat? It looks more like a ramshorn than a pond snail. Spiral shell, but sideways instead of going up.

Or are my clowns too well fed and just don't want to eat this snail?

Roan

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The ramshorns have a harder shell, and have an operculum that they can pull over to cover their soft parts. Some fish can still eat them, but they tend to wait until they can grab a chunk of foot and suck the snail out rather than crunching the shell. But, in any case, it's likely that the clowns just aren't interested in the snail right now. It likely will end up being eaten, at some point.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
OrionGirl said:
The ramshorns have a harder shell, and have an operculum that they can pull over to cover their soft parts. Some fish can still eat them, but they tend to wait until they can grab a chunk of foot and suck the snail out rather than crunching the shell. But, in any case, it's likely that the clowns just aren't interested in the snail right now. It likely will end up being eaten, at some point.
Thanks, OG. I just hope they decide to eat it before it lays eggs all over the place :)

Roan

themadblimper

The one free man.
Dec 10, 2005
Lancaster, PA
If it doesn't eat the parent what makes you think it would eat its offspring?

You could just pick it out of the tank, crush it, and throw it back in. Some fish is likely to eat it.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
themadblimper said:
. . .You could just pick it out of the tank, crush it, and throw it back in. Some fish is likely to eat it.
I know some people do that, but . . . it's kinda gross to me and it brings back a very bad memory that I will only share if someone wants me to. Ugh.

Roan

themadblimper

The one free man.
Dec 10, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I crush snails all the time and feed them to my angels. They go nuts. Ever see an angelfish feeding frenzy with bits and pieces of snail(s) everywhere? Not a pretty sight, but watching the angels is quite comical.

And yes, please do share your tale of nastiness.

DarkEntity

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
Glasgow (ish) Scotland
Same here, used to crush the snails on the glass and the fish would go mental...must be the smell of fresh flesh lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store