Red Stains on Clown Pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MidnightPyro

AC Members
Jun 21, 2005
hey everyone, I own a clown plecostomus that I got from the pet store about a month ago. He's pretty much hid behind some jungle val (attached to the glass, sideways) for the remainder of his time, although I saw him out and attached to the glass a few mornings when I woke up. Besides that, he pretty much stays put.

However, he has red stains on the top of his body. It's a bit red tinted over his head, and it's deep red (a dark red streak) on the his left fin. Besides the redness, he looks otherwise healthy. I haven't gotten a great look at him, and I really can't get a picture, but the redness is pretty flush with his coloring. The area isn't raised and it doesn't look raw or anything. If anyone looked at him they'd probably think the red is his natural coloring, but from everything I've read these dark red streaks aren't normal.

He definatly moves, around in his little area in back of the val, but not very much. The fish store where I bought him from told me he was an algae eater and that as long as there was algae, no food supplements were needed. I haven't really attempted to feed him, largely because he hides out all the time and I'm not too sure how to feed him or with what, so I've just left him alone. There's a TON of algae in the tank, so beyond that, I'm not really too sure what else to feed him.

I was wondering what I should do about this. Other than the redness, from what I can tell, he looks healthy enough. Water quality is good (0 ammonia/nitrite/nitrate), and I do a 40% water change every two weeks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

From what I've read here and other places, I believe this might be a bacterial infection, but I'm not too sure. I don't have an available hospital tank right now but perhaps get one setup if needed depending on what needs to be done to the little guy if anything.

EDIT: On advice from other people, I've added in a blanched broccoli stem and a blanched green bean to the tank. I'll also be adding some drift wood for the clown pleco soon.

MidnightPyro

AC Members
Jun 21, 2005
The thing is, I don't currently have a heater on my 29 gallon. Water temperatures linger right around 71 degrees, which is a little bit low. I have a 150 watt ebo-jagar heater, but I have neglected to put it in mainly because I don't want to nuke the fish.

When the light turned on this morning, he had moved about 6 inches into the open and was right in front/almost on top of the green bean, but when the light turned on, he kind of waddled across the gravel back behind his jungle val. Should I buy some algae discs or something that he might like? It's hard to tell what's wrong with him, considering he's pretty skiddish and just sits behind the jungle val during the day.

This is the best picture I could get of him. It's a bad angle with bad lighting, but with my digital camera, it's the best picture I could get. It makes him look a bit more red than he looks in person.

Water quality this morning was okay, 0 ppm of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, 7.8 pH, 71 degrees. Kind of stumped as to what to do, if anything.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
weird coloration..
clown pleco's are actually wood munchers..they do a job on algae but need wood in their diet..

not sure if that helps any

Teelie

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
It sounds like it could be septicema but without seeing it, it's hard to diagnose. Also, definitely get some bogwood for it to munch on. Most of the plec species seem to do better with it in the tank, even if they don't eat it.

MidnightPyro

AC Members
Jun 21, 2005
Teelie said:
It sounds like it could be septicema but without seeing it, it's hard to diagnose. Also, definitely get some bogwood for it to munch on. Most of the plec species seem to do better with it in the tank, even if they don't eat it.
Oy, that's not good. I've read and re-read the symptoms of septicema, and I'm not too sure. The way they describe it, it actually sounds like blood vessels burst and the effected areas have lesions and don't look normal at all. There are no visible lesions/raw areas on the fish, and quite honestly, unless you knew plecos weren't suppose to be red, you'd assume it's his natural color. There's no bumps, or sores, or anything that I can tell. If I look closely, it's hard to tell where exactly his eyes are or if they look cloudy or normal. This morning I didn't notice anything else abnormal besides the redness and the way he waddled across the gravel back behind the val.

Teelie

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
I had an albino cory die of it a few weeks ago and it was quick. I didn't see any obvious lesions either but there was no doubt what it was. Still, your pleco may not have that, it could just be a stress or diet related thing. Can you get a better close up of the pleco?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store