thinking about a schooling fish...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

flyfly

follow me on twitter @flyfly_mackay
Jan 21, 2005
Portland, OR
www.myspace.com
hey everybody whats happenin. I was thinking about getting a small to medium school of fish for my mid layer and i was thinking of neon tetras, possibly harlyquin rasboros, or maybe even white clouds. Really, im leaning towards neons. But my question is how well do they really school? I had about 8 blackskirt tetras at one time and they didnt school at all, im trying to stay away from that. thanks for the input in advance ^^

ronfl

AC Members
Sep 6, 2005
I tried neons, but they kept dying. I got 6 rasbora's, 1 died and the other five have been great. They school most of the time, occasionally 1 will go out on it's own, but mostly they stay together.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Part of the problem with any schooling species is that they school for protection. It doesn't take long for them to learn that the tank is safe, and that schooling is required.

Also, many fish that are captive bred (including neons) is that the gene for schooling doesn'tdictate successful breeding. In the wild, fish that don't school well tend to be eaten more often, meaning they contribute less to the dominant behaviors of the fish. In captivity, this isn't the case, meaning more fish that don't school tightly can successfully breed.

And finally, tank size and the number of fish in there is important. In a 10, there simply isn't enough space for the schooling behavior to really be noticable. In a 55, it's noticable if you have a large enough school.

The best schooling behavior I've seen, given all these variable, had been in the pygmy cories. They really are more mid-water fish than the 'regular' size cories, and they school very well, even in smaller groups of 6-8 fish.

chickenball z

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Buffalo, NY
neons don't school well... but cardinals are great at it, they're more finnicky and expensive.... another good choice would be rummynose....

they're generally the two best schooling species of tetras

flyfly

follow me on twitter @flyfly_mackay
Jan 21, 2005
Portland, OR
www.myspace.com
so i suppose to add on to my question (and thanks og for the tip on the pygmy cories) is what else schools well and stays very small. like, no bigger than two inches?

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Well, I had bought a small group of 5 gold prestella tetras and they stayed in a nice tight group most of the time, with the occasional wandering. I traded them in for a group of 5 regular prestellas (I liked thier color better)..and they don't seem to stay in as tight a group as the golds did....but they still school pretty nicely. (oh, this is in a 29gallon tank)

They aren't as small as the neons and cardinals though....

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
I couldn't tell you how well neons school, 'cause I couldn't keep them alive for more than 2 days. But I now have a school of 8 white clouds in my 30 gallon that school very well, very seldom do they break ranks, and guess what! they don't die! :clap: They are identical to neon tetras in body form and size (no more than 2 in) and I really like there color, its not bland, but it doesn't take away from my dwarf gouramis. There are some pics in my sig.

joeyg2100

AC Members
Oct 31, 2005
I am going to second the Cardinals. I have 9 in my 55 gal. At first they didn't school very well. Then I started added more fish to the tank. After there was some bigger fish in there, they started schooling all the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store