Heater Broke Inside Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wilson004

AC Members
Jun 29, 2005
What do i do if my heater broke inside my tank?do i have to drain all the water? is there something in it that will harm the fish?PLZ RESPOND ASAP!

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
By broke do you mean it shattered? or cracked? If theres pieces of glass everywhere then it might hurt fish who scavange at the bottom. Theres really not much you can do. Maybe use activated carbon to remove and dissolved chemicals or metals that may have leaked from the heater. I dunno if they use mercury in those heaters do they? I have no idea. Maybe call the manufacturer and ask them whats in there that may be harmful to your health.

wilson004

AC Members
Jun 29, 2005
yah it shattered i picked the pieces of glass out but im just wondering if i have to change all of the water because of like u said there may be chemicals in teh hearter.

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
You're lucky the fish didn't get electrocuted. I would say in most heaters not much to worry about (other than electricity), call the manufacturer.

DarkEntity

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
Glasgow (ish) Scotland
Personally if it was my tank, i would partition off the area with the broken glass, then procede to do a clean up. Pick out the broken glass, and other heater components, possibly even lift the top layer of gravel off with a net thus removing any smaller glass fragments unseen by the eye.

You dont want bottom feeders skimming across glass!

wilson004

AC Members
Jun 29, 2005
thank you guys i took my fish out last night and put them in my 25gal,im gunna make sure there is no glass at all then do a water change and add them back in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store