Converting from salt TO fresh

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bugrunner65

Registered Member
Dec 29, 2005
HI,
I am breaking down my reeftank and would like to give the tank to my son who has a 29gal fresh water set-up that could use a size upgrade. My question is can I just give the salt tank a good washing and cleaning befor tossing his stuff into it or is there more too it than that? I will be using his water and gravel in addition to purchasing about 50lbs of new gravel. Any help would be apprieciated.
Thanks

birdman7389

AC Members
Aug 25, 2005
My 55gal was a salt tank with its previous owner. I gave it a good cleaning, as well as the heater that he had. I used the same filter (penguin), with new fiters and bio-wheels. I also re-used 1 plastic log, very well cleaned. Everything else like decorations, plants and sand was purchased new.

It's been 5 months with no issues.

bugrunner65

Registered Member
Dec 29, 2005
I really didn't see why It would be a problem, but the owner of the local pet shop, whose advice is usually bad, said I would have all kinds of ph trouble because of thr calcium behind the silicone. She said it would be months before I would be able to maintain the proper ph. She also said filling the tank with water and adding 1.5 cups of bleach for 2 days would sterilize the calcium. .............Didn't make any sense to me, but I don't want to kill my sons fish, so I thought I would ask...
Thanks

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
The only things that should not be used are the filter media and any decoration thar came from the sea.

Everything else must be only washed out troughly, rinsed and them washed out again and again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store