Easy Floaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wolfnature

AC Members
Dec 20, 2002
Everett, WA
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for recommendations on any floating plants that are easy to take care of. I've found plenty of references for other plants, but haven't had much luck at finding anything about floating plants. Thanks.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I just read about this, so I think that I can help. By the way, "Plants for Your Aquarium," by Wolfgang Gula, is the reference which I am using, and it is a good, cheap book on plants if you ever feel the need to purchase one.

Here are the suggestions:
Lake (Marimo) Ball--Cladophora aegagropila. This is an algae, which is not often available in the States, but serves as a really good nutrient sucker. I'm not sure if the Marimo Ball is a floating plant or not based on my reference.

The classic Java Fern--Microsorium pteropus. Pretty much easy to grow, and you could tie it to rocks if you want a rooted plant in your aquarium.

Water Lettuce--Pistia stratiotes. This is a heavy feeder, but, for some odd reason, it says that they tend not to fare well in aquaria.

Crystalwort--Riccia fluitans. Needs a lot of light, but, if given that, will spread like crazy.

Also, think about Duckweed (Lemna minor), which is, oddly enough, not in my book, but seems to be very well-recommended in many of my fish-specific sources.

HTH (hope this helps, not hole in the head...I'd never wish that on anyone or their fish :)),

Matthew

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Well, I would start off with Water Sprite - very easy to grow and take care of - plus I think it has a nice look.

I also have Hornwort and Anachris that I am using as floaters. Actually what I have done with these is leave them in bunches tied at the bottom - and then attached them to my center brace or back side of the tank by simply using a twist tie thats held in place by my glass cover.

All of these are growing extremely well for me in a low light 1.5 watts per gallon, non CO2 setup.

Starry

Occasionally sighted.
May 15, 2002
Brampton, Ont
Originally posted by ChilDawg
I just read about this, so I think that I can help. By the way, "Plants for Your Aquarium," by Wolfgang Gula, is the reference which I am using, and it is a good, cheap book on plants if you ever feel the need to purchase one.
I bought that book, but after I took it home and started reading it, I couldn't bear the torture and I went back and got a refund on it. If you want a better cheap beginner book, track down Aquarium Plants Manual by Ines Scheurmann (Barron's). It's quite old, but you can still find it online, or some pet stores.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Sorry that you didn't like it, Starry...I will check out your recommendation next time I see it. Can you tell me why it felt like torture reading it?

Starry

Occasionally sighted.
May 15, 2002
Brampton, Ont
Originally posted by ChilDawg
Sorry that you didn't like it, Starry...I will check out your recommendation next time I see it. Can you tell me why it felt like torture reading it?
Ooooh, I was afraid you were gonna ask. I really can't remember much, it was last summer. But I do remember that they didn't mention even one Aponogeton, which is a big mistake in my book. And I think I remember them spelling some names wrong or just having the wrong name for the plant. Or bunching together some plants as similar that really aren't alike. Something along those lines, I can't remember exactly.

This really wasn't a stab at you in particular, I didn't mean to insult you or anything, so don't take it the wrong way. I just though you might want to know not to take the book too seriously.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I did not take that as a stab at me, trust me...and that's a good point on the lack of Aponogeton plants; I noticed that as well when I was looking for the information which I desired on the Wal-Mart hybrids currently serving as cory chews in my tank! I will seriously look into the other book once I get a chance.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
wolfnature - the only floaty I have is salvinia natans: much like duckweed, but larger. It practically doubles for me each week and it seems to do the best in the one tank with the least care, i.e. the quarantine tank. I do not use any fertilizers in the quarantine and the roots are longer and the leaves are twice as big. It looks best there.
http://www.washjeff.edu/greenhouse/Snatans/#taxonomy

ChilDawg - Your statement that the aponogetons are "serving as cory chews in my tank" had me laughing!

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
I bought two bundles, (about 5 stems each) of hornwart for my alreay planted 60 gallon. With no CO2 or fertilizer, a gravel setup, and timer-operated 13 hour lighting, (just the lights that came with the cheap hoods,) These things have grown at least 2 feet in two weeks, no lie.

I also have anacharis, which I am not as happy with. They are countinusly uprooted, and seem to harden up and stop growing when they float.

Would strongly recomend the hornwart - can be used as a floater even when anchored to the bottom of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store