My local fish store is destroyed.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ed Filip

has happy little fishies
Oct 23, 2005
Philadelphia
A fire burned down "The Hidden Reef"' in NE Philadelphia. Let us have a moment of silence. It was the biggest and best fish store in Philly. I am greatly saddened by its loss. A neighboring store a few doors down in the shopping center caught fire and it spread. The reports said that the flames didn't hurt the store, but part of the walls are collapsing and smoke and water damage has done the place in. I think of how sad it must be for the owners who have made it a great store with a loyal following. And all those poor fish! They had a fantastic display tank that was huge with a dozen discus or so in there. I wonder if they were running with some in buckets to save any of them. I suppose they all perished.

News link

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
That's really tough. Hopefully they'll be able to rebuild and re-open-- a good store is tough to find, so I'm sure most of their customers will come back.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Yeah I was thinking that insurance will be making The Hidden Reef even bigger and more bad-arse when it reopens.

There's a funny thing about insurance claims....they tend to be just ever so slightly inflated.

My main worry now though is where I'm going to get my harder-to-find supplies. I can't think of anyone else that will be carrying my Sera Super Peat, which I am about to run out of in my next filter change.

....and on a really sad sidenote, the gf and I were debating whether to buy this cute little blue betta we saw the very last time we were there before the fire. Now I regret more than ever deciding against buying him. :sad:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store