Yellow tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
I'm taking a yellow tang from someone who has to give this fish away. (beautiful specimen) My tank is 65g. I know 75g is minimum for tang but does 10g make a difference.
If it doesn't work out, the tang will be given to LFS in trade. What's your thoughts? :idea2:

kobeSumo

AC Members
Oct 28, 2005
I think you should keep the tang, since good yellow tang specimens are hard to come by in shops. If it doesn't work out, you can always bring it to the LFS. What other inhabitants are in your tank?

SteveD

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Visit site
Swimfins said:
I'm taking a yellow tang from someone who has to give this fish away. (beautiful specimen) My tank is 65g. I know 75g is minimum for tang but does 10g make a difference.
If it doesn't work out, the tang will be given to LFS in trade. What's your thoughts? :idea2:

I had one in a 55g then moved it to a 125g, then to a 280g. It finally looks happy. Tangs occupy many yards of turf on the reef. For the long term a 65g or 75g is too small. Not to say that people don't keep them in those tanks but I would say 125 is the bare bones minimum.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
I agree, temporary it's ok, long term a big no. it will make a a nuisance of itself, if the tank is too small, and will get quite territorial, Before you put it in the tank, make sure you have nothing else the same colour, otherwise you might have war. other than that, feed it a good diet, and it will be fine, short term.

Swimfins

I know in natue they swim all day covering large territories (in schools). On the other hand one alone might be ok. I have nothing resembling a tang or another yellow fish: 5 inch argus wrasse, full grown, (hawaii) lawnmower blenny, and 2 tomato clowns and 1 coral banded shrimp. (hermits and a few snails)
I think I'll try and see. If it doesn't do well, I have other options for him.
Thanks so much for input.

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
i think the yellow will be ok, as long as there are no compatability issues with the other fish, i dont know what an argus wrasse is. i have seen yellows in 55 gallon tanks that were extremely healthy looking. as far as happiness goes for tangs, i dont think any fish is REALLY happy out of the ocean. i love tangs and i have several, i think as long as the fish stays healthy, thats all we can really do. good luck.

Swimfins

Thank you Jessie. I really would like to keep this fish!
I like that he is an open swimmer and is all over the tank. He's less afraid and doesn't hide so much when i aproach. He looks happy and appears at home in my tank now. (I guess as happy as a schooling fish can be without mates.) I'd love a few of these guys in a large tank.
I don't plan to add more rock so as to keep alot of swimming area and wait awhile and see.

mrsdorothy

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Mississippi
Visit site
I hope it works out for you Swims. I also want an Hawaiian yellow tang for my tank, but heard that it would not be long enough. If it works out for you, I just might try one.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Please i ask you not to buy the tang, i cannot stress enough that the tank is simpley not big enough, yes you may see tang in LFS in 20 gallon tank, or others at a mates house in 55 gallon tanks, but a full grown mature Yellow Tang will not survive in these conditions. The minimum for any tang is 75 gallons, even then it is pushing the limit, as the tank would have to have limited rock to provide ample swimming space, seriously consider upgrading the aquarium to something like a 90 gallon, or i would suggest trading/selling the Yellow tang. I am not trying to be mean or anything, but keeping a Full grown YT in a 65 gallon is not good. :)

:)

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
the lfs i usually visit is called inland aquatics. it is a very reputable store, and i have seen yellow tangs live in 55s there in displays for several years. they have 35000 gallons of saltwater tanks. i think, again its my personal opinion, that a yellow would do ok.

i would also like to applaud you mysis, i think that far to often fish/tank compatability issues with tangs grow out of hand and become flames very quickly. its nice to be able to have a discussion about conflicting opinions/facts without it turning ugly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store