yellow stripe maroon and false percula problem.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jacobus

dragon wrasse nut
Dec 4, 2005
Singapore.
ok i just got a new YS maroon clown today and an anemone for it .. coz the percula i have is already in the anemone i have in there .. the moment i put in the maroon .. it went for the already inhabited anemone ( i already put in the new anemone...) and a fight followed .. what can i do to get the maroon to be hosted by the new anemone ? and to prevent further cases of fighting .. i have a 60 gallon tank with lots of swimming space .. i have 3 gobies a percula clown and a maroon, and a dragon wrasse . thats it for now .. i am still gonna add more fish . any advice ?

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Mixing two species of clowns in a smaller tank was a big gamble, my friend. Not saying it could never work, but it's a gamble. Even in the captive situation where two species are co-existing for many months, one can suddenly run amok and turn bully. Search the files over on WWM and you will see what I mean.
These two would not be seen near each other on the reef, what you are attempting to create is unnatural... I just returned from a trip to to Micronesia, and on 17 dives we never saw two species of clown closer to each other than 50 feet or more. We also noticed the wild clowns were very aggressive--even to divers! My son was surprised when one latched onto his glove like a bulldog when he touched the host anemone. They are territorial damsels, please remove one to be safe.

Last edited:

jacobus

dragon wrasse nut
Dec 4, 2005
Singapore.
oh man ... i knew that they where agressive to other clowns .. but i didnt know they where that agressive .. hmm guess i'd remove the flase percula .. would you happen to know if a YS maroon clown will naturally host to a yellow bubble tip anemone ? the whole thing is yellow with a black dot on the tip of its every tentacle. my lfs said its was a banana anemone or something .. i'll post a picture later ... but the quality is quite bad ..

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
jacobus said:
would you happen to know if a YS maroon clown will naturally host to a yellow bubble tip anemone ? the whole thing is yellow with a black dot on the tip of its every tentacle. my lfs said its was a banana anemone or something .. i'll post a picture later ... but the quality is quite bad ..
Hmmm, clowns can be a bit unpredictable with regard to hosting. All I can tell you is the Maroons I have observed in the wild were not hosting in yellow ones. Be advised, some questionable retailers have sold anemones over the years which have been injected with artificial dyes, resulting in wild colors, pinks, yellows... hope this is not what you're seeing.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Well, the maroon still may host this anemone, as for dyes added to anemones etc, generally it happens in places such as asia etc, and it is very rare to find dyed anemones.

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Yes... places like Singapore? Note the location.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
LOL, i should take more time looking at people, well post a picture of this anemone, we can see if it is dyed.

jacobus

dragon wrasse nut
Dec 4, 2005
Singapore.
well here's the pic..

i was just thinking ... if i cant have 2 different species .. can i put in another smaller YS maroon instead?

kobeSumo

AC Members
Oct 28, 2005
I guess it's just another lesson... do more research BEFORE you go out and buy a new fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store