well....gonna do another ram spawn.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Ok...I have this really nice pair of german blues from a spawn I did early last year. I haven't been paying attention to thier spawning, just letting them go ahead and eat the fry when they had them.

On the spur of the moment....seeing a nice group of eggs sitting on one of the fake logs I have in the tank.....I decided to go ahead and try another spawn with them. I got $1.25 each for the last batch....and I had over 70 of them...!!

I have a nice clean 10 sitting empty so I filled it with clean change water about 1/3 full.....took a sponge filter from my 10gallon divided betta tank...and a nylon bag of gravel I had in there as well, which I always keep a few of those handy....and....I snatched the heater from the bettas too...(they'll be fine without it, my house is warm enough) I tossed in some water sprite...which I have an over abundance of around here.

I used a small plastic tank I have to move the fake log with the eggs over to the 10. Filled the little tank with water from the ram tank and slowly added water from the 10 into that so the eggs could adjust to the water difference. Hopefully they took the move well. If so they should hatch sometime today or tomorrow. I waited until they looked about ready to hatch before moving them.

I think I'll keep this going as a log.....if all turns out well with them.

:D

bludevil12

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
Where do you sell the fry?

I would be interested in some :)

Very cool nonetheless, gorgeous fish you have!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I have plenty of lfs nearby me...I take them to one of them. I live in Ct...any chance you're nearby ?

The last batch I had were VERY nice fish ! Bawlsy bought a pair from me...you see him on here once in awhile. Very hardy for rams from what I have experienced. I'm guessing my original pair are of the european stock rather than asian....as I have had NO problems with these fish at all.

Hope this bunch works out as well as the last spawn I raised. So far, the eggs haven't yet hatched. After raising a batch of 200+ bettas to adulthood...these guys are a piece of CAKE !!

Last edited:

loucas6290

Lurking Since 2005
Jan 2, 2005
this is an awesome log and should turn out to be quite informational if you want to rear ram young

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I've never shipped fish..... :eek: ....I do have ONE styrofoam shipping box that I got some meds in recently....guess that would be useful if I decided to give it a try...but I only have one...lol....

I just checked the eggs...and I see tiny wiggly tails poking out of a few of them. Looks like I'm going to be a mommy tonight ! :D

Last edited:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Well...the age old addage.."Don't count your chickens before they hatch" applies to fish as well...lol...

I woke up this morning and checked on the eggs. Looks like a failed attempt. The eggs hatched but the fry are laying lifeless on the floor of the tank. I did see one of them wriggling around a bit..but I don't think it'll last long.

I checked the water parameters and they all check out fine..so that's not the problem. I have been having issue with the heater....the temp in the tank is about 84..but that shouldn't be too high for rams..so I really don't think that's it either.

Oh well, my other pair are showing signs of spawning soon...so I'll give them a try next..or wait for that last pair to spawn again. I'll keep the tank setup and toss one of my female betta in there to keep the cycle going...she aught to like that...lol..till I have to put her back in her own tank..

:huh:

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
low ph is critical for fry survival in most instances. i have never had success in a bare bottom tank 9don't know why). Have had great success in well planted tanks.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Not so sully....I had a successful ram spawn in PH that read over 7.8. They did VERY well.....also, my rams spawn consantly...even have raised some broods to the point where they've been swimming around for about a week...before they end up eating them all.

Planted tanks are best as there is plenty of infusoria for them to eat with all the plants in there. Even so, infusoria isn't needed for the first few days while they still have the yolk sack. I raised my first batch in a bare bottom tank....with a good bunch of java moss. When they were large enough I fed them on bbs for a short while...then powdered fry food...and micro pellets after that.

I had only just decided to go ahead and raise another spawn on a whim. I'll give it another shot when my other pair lay thier eggs.

I do have a very low KH, whether or not that has anything to do with success in high PH I don't know. But they sure don't have any trouble hatching thier eggs. They just tend to forget they're parents and eat them after about 2 weeks.

I'm thinking it had something to do with moving them out of the tank they were in. :huh:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Ya know...I take it back !!

I just peeked in the tank and I have a whole bunch of wrigglers in there ! Perhaps the ones I saw this morning were too new out of the egg and hadn't gotten going yet.

But..hey ! That's nice ! We'll see how they do ! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store