Are mollys reef safe? more

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jacob Abshire

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I know that most of you think it is silly to have a molly in a reef tank, but I got a real nice orange high sailfin molly that is really cool. It's color is really bright because of the salt. Any way, I have not noticed any problems yet, but I have some mushrooms, leather corals,xina, star poylops, sponges, and a gorgian and I do not want the molly to pick at these corals. Does any one know how these guys do? Thanks, Jacob.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Mollies are omnivores, but I think they should ignore most corals after investigating them. They may pick a bit like some angels, but I think you're okay.

If anyone gives you a hard time about what you have in your tank, don't worry. It's personal choice. You maintain it, you make the calls so far as what fish you want to try. Don't let it bug you.l

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
As far as SW is concerned, that's about all you can get that stays small that will school. One family per rule....give them a whole ocean to roam around in and they get all un-neighborly!

Kara

AC Members
Feb 21, 2003
Fort Lauderdale
Visit site
I knew that Mollies were brackish inhabitants but I didn't know they would live in a salt tank!

Do you just buy a molly from the Freshwater section of a LFS and then acclimate normally (like you would with a new SW fish) it to the tank? or because it is going from fresh to salt, do you have to adjust it slowly to the salinity?

Does this hold true for all brackish fish or can you only keep a few select brackish species in a SW tank?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yes and no. There are many brackish fish that naturally migrate to full marine during certain portions of their life, just as there are many fish that migrate from full marine to freshwater. Mollies can be adapted to full marine conditions quite easily, but it's a longer process that you'd use for a new fish introduction. Most people start with a BW system, and gradually increase the amount of salt with each water change. You could as easily do this by adding SW instead of FW for topoffs, as long as you topped off with the same sp as the tank had evaporated to. Slow but sure will have better results than trying to do this quickly.

Some brackish fish prefer the lighter salinities, so this method won't work. If the fish goes from brackish to fresh, for example, it's a bad idea. Monos and scats, however, naturally migrate to marine conditions as they mature. Failing to increase the salinity for some fish can cause health issues and death.

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Agreed w/ OrionGirl...this definitely doesn't work for all brackish fish. As for the mollies, the absolute fastest that I would convert a molly from FW to SW is over three days of gradually increasing SG.

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
I only knew one person who tried, and it didn't work. Not saying it's impossible, but the one attempt that I've observed failed. If I remember correctly, BB gobies prefer the lower end of brackish salinities, so full marine conditions might be a bit much.

That said, there are LOTS of little marine gobies with the same mannerisms that you might want to check out...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store