"monkey" shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishr

AC Members
Dec 25, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure exactly the name but does anyone know if its territorial or will harass/kill my cleaner and pepermint shrimp?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you're not sure what it is, how can we be? I ran a few searches for monkey shrimp, and everything that came up was about brine (sea monkeys), or some band in WA.

Sorry. Get a pic or a description, if you can't get a name.

fishr

AC Members
Dec 25, 2002
Visit site
Sry

Ahh, I forgot its latin name or the name is generaly goes by. Brain fart....

I just know some people call it a "monkey" shrimp. And I was hoping someone might jump start my memory.

Guess not...lol

fishr

AC Members
Dec 25, 2002
Visit site
Got the name...

Its called a Saron Shrimp (Saron marmoratus)

Now is it reef safe?

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Pretty reef safe, but don't expect to see much of it. Do NOT mix them in numbers as same sex individuals will fight to the death. (Males have a much longer pair of front arms.) I would personally opt for a more sociable shrimp species, but this one isn't dangerous.

Kara

AC Members
Feb 21, 2003
Fort Lauderdale
Visit site
if you want a cool, unusual shrimp look into Sexy Shrimp (Thor amboinensis), also called broken-back shrimp. They retail from $6.00-$10.00 each. I have seen Anemone Shrimp (Periclimenes brevicarpalis) sold as Sexy Shrimp but they are completely different.

Sexy Shrimp are small and boldly colored. They perch on my rock (always in plain view) and 'wag' their tails around. They usually hang around together and always in the same area.

I have read reports that sexy shrimp will eat polyps. I have never observed this behavior in my tank nor in the reef tanks of friends that have them. Mine eat just about everything I give them. They aren't common finds at LSFs in this area, you might have to special order them at your LFS or order them online.

Anyone else have experiences with 'Sexy Shrimp'?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Seen them, and decided they were too small to safely live in our tank. I've heard (my LFS--mostly reliable) that they will eat aiptaisa as well. Not sure, but it would be nice. There was something about them in a recent mag....Hmmmm.....Can't recall. I'll try to look it up tonight and post it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store