Lionfish with fin rot

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ashes

AC Members
Apr 19, 2001
Northern NY
Suggestions on the best way to treat fin rot in a lionfish? The water quality is perfect, and he's the only critter in the tank. We just got him a few days ago.

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Fin rot? ... not just tears or holes? Providing your water--including nitrates and PH--are as good as you say, take it back to the LFS. Otherwise remove the fish to a quarantine tank and treat it with water changes and Furan products... this is often not a disease at all but a reflection of poor water and environment, but if it is indeed bacterial I wish you luck.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Yes me to, really you should contact the LFS and notify them of what is wrong, can you post a picture of what it looks like.

Ashes

AC Members
Apr 19, 2001
Northern NY
Yeah, it was definitely fin rot and not just tears or holes, which I know are common in lionfish.

Ammonia was zero, nitrite was zero, nitrate was zero.

We tried treating it with methylene blue, but he passed away last night anyway. The fish store won't do anything about it... last time I buy anything there.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Actually, it's fairly common for LFS to NOT cover SW fish, at least locally. Why did you buy the fish if it was in that condition?

Ashes

AC Members
Apr 19, 2001
Northern NY
It wasn't in that condition when we purchased it. Two days after we brought it home, it started developing the fuzz on its fins.

Ashes

AC Members
Apr 19, 2001
Northern NY
I'm not sure what you mean. Ich doesn't look like fuzz; it looks like grains of salt or sugar. This was cottony white fuzz just on the edges of the fish's fins.

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
I don't think that is fin rot. It is called something else but I can't think of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store