prefilter bag for overflow help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

afkouns

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
I just converted my 85g sumpless system to a 125g with built in overflow and 35g sump. I was told to change my prefilter bag that the overflow runs into once a week to eliminate nitrite and nitrate build up. I changed one the bags out already and washed it in my clothes washer with a little chlorine bleach. I also then ran it through the washer 3 more times to get rid any chlorine bleach. Well it's been another week and I changed the bags out again. I removed the dirty bag and placed in the new clean one. My skimmer started going nuts, it was overflowing producing lots of bubbles. Its an euroreef cs6-2. Even on the lowest setting it was still overflowing with bubbles.

Here are the questions:
1. Did I screw up by washing it with chlorine bleach?
2. Did I maybe not rinse it out enough?
3. What future method should I used to clean the prefilter bag?

Toooloud

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Why are you running a prefilter bag?

If you are running a Proper amount of live rock and a clean up crew you would not need it..

I mean have you messured your Nitrates at all? if so what are you running aT?

afkouns

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
amonia, nitrites and nitrates are 0.
i have a 110lbs of live rock

don't u need the prefilter bag so u don't get excess food or sand in your skimmer and return pump as not to damage them or clog them up?

Last edited:

afkouns

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
after only 1 reply and talking to some people at my local store. I am removing the prefilter bag as recommended. They said the size of my pumps wouldn't be harmed.

heedicus

aqua-nerd in training
Dec 23, 2001
Boise, ID
www.skijor.bravepages.com
Yes take of the prefilter bag, I think that is why no-one posted, everyone agreed with tooloud.
tren

afkouns

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
It's gone! Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store