just a few questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Red guy

AC Members
Nov 30, 2002
Trinidad & Tobago W.I
Visit site
Hey everyone
i'm not ezactly new to fish ive kept salt water for over 13 yrs now i've desided to test the waters of salt water[ pardon my pun] Everyone is always very helpful and it is nice to share your experince with other people with similar intrest.
any way now to my questions
I resently converted a spare 20 gal tank of mine to salt water i mixed salt and cheaked the salinity let it sit for like week running a bio wheel.[ i also plan on changeing my 120 gallon overs to salt bepending on how much work vs entertainment value i get out of this smaller salt water tank not to mention if i can keep any thing alive] .then this weekend i too a drive to the only coral beach here on the love island of trinidad. i was able to collect about 30 lbs of live sand and about 20 lbs of live rock with was encrusted with lots of things including red green pink and blue algae . There we also some little slimy bumps on the rock, which turned out to be some kind anemones. During the day the open up, they vary in colur from red to brown to purple and green i think they are pretty neat. there we also some turbo snails on the rock also some bubble algea.I was also able ot carpture some type of coral crab it is small about 2 cm wide it is pink with white markings and purple tips on it's claws, it spends it's time diging caves and doing normal crabby stuff. What do i feed the rock dwelling organisms?
my question is what else do i need to add to the tank to maintain my animals there are two flouresent hoods on the tank with coral life 50/50 bulds and i'm runing two penguin bio wheel minis on the tank Do i need a skimmer?
aslo i want to keep one fish preferably a fish that is hardy active will not eat my inverts and has personality and of course will not out grow my tank or jump out?
oh yeah and if i had a large tank say 120 gallons would that mean i would need 120 lbs of live rock and sand combinded ?
oh yes i dont plan to keep and corals just live rock some motile inverts and fish not a full blown reef tank.

Sorry for the long post.:confused:

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Hi Red Guy,
You shouldn't need to feed anything special at this point. As long as you're feeding normal fish foods, the crab and other organisms will forage for leftovers as other critters miss them.

You have lots of options for fish. I would suggest looking into some of the blennies, gobies, cardinals, or clownfish. Many are fairly attractive and pretty commonly available.

The rule of thumb for live rock is to have 1 pound per gallon of water, so you would want at least 120 pounds for a 120g tank.

Red guy

AC Members
Nov 30, 2002
Trinidad & Tobago W.I
Visit site
:) thanks for the reply
i have two more questions.
1 is a skimer really neasary ?
2 how do i know if something is dead on the rock should all the organism be opening up either dureing the day or at night and if not does tha mean it's dea or does that just mean its nor coral or and anaemone?
3 will a dwarf lionfish eat my crab ?[ yeah i know i said i had two question, but hey lol]:D
thanks again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store