do i have enough light?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

afkouns

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
I upgraded from a 85g to a 125g tank recently and still have my old lighting setup.

1. Anybody know if 7100k's are atinic or just blue in color?
2. Should I add more light? I was thinking of (2) 60" VHO's

110lbs of live rock. Corals consist of leathers, mushrooms, molar coral, meat coral, star polyps, and xenia. I have 4 x 96watt compact flourecents mounted in the top of my 10" high canopy. (2) 6500k's and (2) 7100k's. The 7100k's I was told aren't true Atinic's.

Daverman

AC Members
I heard that actinic bulbs do not have specific color temperature. The criterion for determining whether a bulb is actinic or not is the wavelength of the light emitted from the light source. I believe the wavelength is somewhere around 450 nm (Correct me if I'm wrong, or try to look up "the electromagnetic spectrum" on any chemistry textbook). In terms of wattage per gallon, you're barely ok. However, this rule only works under the assumption that the height of the tank is not tall. From your sepcs, it seems you need more lighting for the prosperity of your corals. I would recommend MHs, but if this is not an option for you, go with extra PCs (probably 2-96W?). I hope this would help you.

Last edited:

afkouns

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
I think 2 more compacts realy won't fit well as far had have an even number of each type of bulbs and cover the surface area evenly unless I used the same type of bulbs. I am hesitant to run 2 of one kind of bulb and 4 of another. I am thinking of running 2 vho's 1 being atinic and the other 10k. I am wondering if vho's run a lot hotter or next to nothing in comparison to compacts.

1. Anybody know if 7100k's are atinic or just blue in color?
2. Should I add more light? I was thinking of (2) 60" VHO's

110lbs of live rock. Corals consist of leathers, mushrooms, molar coral, meat coral, star polyps, and xenia. I have 4 x 96watt compact flourecents mounted in the top of my 10" high canopy. (2) 6500k's and (2) 7100k's. The 7100k's I was told aren't true Atinic's. [/B]
To begin with 7100K are not at all blue in color. I have a 10000K that I would consider yellowish.

In my opinion you do not need any more light for the stuff you have. I have successfully grown most of your stuff with two 30W fluorescent in my 50 gallon tank. I currently use two 96W powercompacts on my 50, and have plenty of light.

The only concern I have is that the lamps are ten inches above the water. That would create some light loss.

Some additional corals that do very well under my lighting, which is less than yours, are Tubipora musica (grows like weed for me), several of the Colts like cladiella, and Toadstool leather (sarcophyton sp), Finger leathers (such as sinularia) Cabbage leathers. I have them all, and they do very well.:) :)

Last edited:

afkouns

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
I have a thread on this same subject going on and I'm getting some mixed results. However I am please that I'm seeing many different thoughts. I'm wondering which way I should go. It would be cheaper of course not to add any light. My lfs told me to see how my corals do in about 5 months or so. If they are doing fine then I'm good. If not I should probally add more lighting.

Is this true?

Originally posted by afkouns
I have a thread on this same subject going on and I'm getting some mixed results. However I am please that I'm seeing many different thoughts. I'm wondering which way I should go. It would be cheaper of course not to add any light. My lfs told me to see how my corals do in about 5 months or so. If they are doing fine then I'm good. If not I should probally add more lighting.

Is this true?
From what I have seen you should be fine, and it won't take five months to see results. You will know a lot sooner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store