Any one use PURIGEN?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HYPERASHEL

AC Members
Dec 22, 2005
Atlanta, Ga

Bosemani Fan

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Tennessee
Well, First there is no reason to use Carbon or Purigen, unless you are trying to remove Meds. or water particals, They will help polish you water somewhat but, with the right maintenance you shouldn't need your water polished! I have used Purigen to some decent results. But you have to remember Carbon and Purigen do diffrent things.

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
Carbon basicly strips the water clean of heavy metals, and dissolved organic compounds but only lasts for about 5 days. Purigen will scavenge dissolved organic compounds only and lasts for about 6 months. I does a good job in my canister filtered tank with my water always coming out colorless during a water change and no foam or bubbles popping. I also have no nitrate problems because of it. Overall I am happy with the product.

HYPERASHEL

AC Members
Dec 22, 2005
Atlanta, Ga
so do you run Carb for a week, then the Purigen the rest of the time? do you have two filters set up? it just sounds as if you use both.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Purigen is great.I've never had lower Nitrate levels.Usually after a water change I'm at 20 ppm,with purigen its at 10 ppm.

Don't let these"you don't need it if you do water changes" people scare you from the product.

I look at it as another form of filtration media,same as fiber,sponges etc.

If their assesment was correct you'd never need fiber either,because if you did daily water changes you wouldn't need anything to catch the bigger particles,they would come out with the water changes.

Its not a cure all,you still need to keep up with your water change regiment

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Purigen is a fantastic product...though it isn't a neccessity, it is a great suppliment to any filter. Not only does it reduce nitrates and removes DOC, it also has water polishing capabilities. I'd recommend it for anyone with large, messy fish and it is especially good in saltwater/reef tanks. I use the stuff in my cichlid tank and I am also an advocate of large weekly water changes. I do 50% weekly water changes while the purigen just helps keep levels under control between water changes. It is a much better product than activated carbon...which I never use.

Prez

AC Members
Feb 2, 2005
I use Purigen too in my 72g. It not only does the above but also keeps the water smelling better. The average 6mo life and recharge capability is what made me purchase it and give it a try. I'm using it in just very fine mesh bags tied and thrown into the bottom of my wet/dry, I can only imagine how well it would work if I put it in my canister.

Good Luck!

HYPERASHEL

AC Members
Dec 22, 2005
Atlanta, Ga
ok, i think i got my answer then. I do water changes in pyramid fashion on my 55 gallon, 10 gallons week one, 20 gallons week two up 50% which is when i normally do the carbon/zeolite change.

after reading post here i have been educated on different and better medias that i previously considered a waste until reading your reviews. i guess i'm ordering but not totally replacing my carbon.

thanks

Marala

Where's Nemo?
May 2, 2005
College Station, TX
Quick question, can you use Purigen with live plants? It sounds as if it will take all of the nutrients and fertilizers that plants need out of your water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store