Block Molly keeps hanging out by the heater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpigford

AC Members
Jan 1, 2006
Denver, CO
www.sabotagemedia.com
I've got a black Molly that has been staying right next to the heater in the tank for a few hours now...hasn't left the area. It is alive but just seems to want to stay right by the heater. The tank is around 79 degrees.

The other fish in the tank are swimming around fine.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
are the fins clamped?
breathing irregular?

watch for signs of illness(use this term loosely)
this happened to my barb and then noticed fin damage(possible rot)
started treating with anti-biotics to see if this helps
suspected bacterial infection since no signs of fungus or ick

good luck

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
are the fins clamped?
breathing irregular?

watch for signs of illness(use this term loosely)
this happened to my barb and then noticed fin damage(possible rot)
started treating with anti-biotics to see if this helps
suspected bacterial infection since no signs of fungus or ick

good luck

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
Same! Sometimes my mollies do it, though only on their own. Mollies are strange... :huh:

sillyputty

AC Members
Dec 10, 2004
Weird! We have one too that we raised from a baby, a dalmation lyretail. He sometimes sits near the bottom and wiggles without going anywhere, and sometimes does like yours and sits near the heater. Then other times he is very active zipping around the tank and he has no feeding issues. Now I have seen both those as signs of illness but this has been going on for months, no new fish added, and very stable tank. I noticed I never see him raise is top fin, ever, and when he swims his side fins kind of point upward and make circular motions. I am wondering if he even has a top fin. He has a ridge there where there should be one but with his odd way of swimming I am wondering if he has one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store