Terror and Devil sexing/species identification

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beezer720

AC Members
Nov 11, 2005
Detroit
Hey, I was wondering if someone could check out these pics and help me with a couple questions: http://beezer720.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album02&page=1
I believe that both the devil and the terror are female, but I am looking for confirmation. They are both about 5"+. I figured if they were males they would have developed some sort of hump by now. However, a couple employees at various LFS have told me that if the male fish does not feel he is the dominant fish in the tank he may not develop a hump. I'm pretty sure the terror feels it is the dom fish cuz it chases the devil all day and gets into standoffs with the chocolate all day. Also, can anyone verify if my devil is a Labiatus. I believe it is but am unsure. Finally, I have heard of fish called Neon Green Terror and seen pictures of these supposed fish. At a LFS today I saw a bunch of 2-3" GT that had gorgeous colors and were $17, there were listed as just "green terror". I bought my large GT from this LFS for like $6 same size, no where near the colors. The old man that knows and runs everything wasnt there but his daughter said that perhaps they were neon GT and he just didnt list it on sign. Does anyone know much about these fish? Pretty much same as all GTs?? I got the one that had the most color and was chasing everything in the tank, about 2.5" max, and it has a slight hump hoping for a male in my fmale dominated tank. Can anyone tell me if this is a neon GT???

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
GT looks like a femail to me. mine had a pretty good size hump at around 3 in and no he was not the dom fish in my tank at the time. Your looks femail but who knows maybe the bump will still come.

The common GT is from Equwidoor and the one that is harder to find is about $50 a pop. It is a more colorful GT and it's from Paru. I'm sure I spelled both places wrong.
If you can find that fish for less than $20 your getting a steel. I'm guessing it is some kind of a highbred.

Last edited:

beezer720

AC Members
Nov 11, 2005
Detroit
Cyclon, any idea on the devil? Whether its a female and a labiatus? Are you saying you think that the small GT is a hybrid btw the Peruvian and the Equadorian(?) terror??? Does mine not look bright enough to be pure Peruvian?

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
re

dont know about the Devil. Your GT has a lot of color it is about as bright as mine.
From what I read the Peruvian has White trim on their fins.
The price makes me also think you dont have a Peruvian.
I just brought it up because you talked about the Neon Green Terror and I havent heard of one and I thought it could be this or a highbred.

beezer720

AC Members
Nov 11, 2005
Detroit
I think the devil is a female. I absolutely love it, doesn't have much of a personality, cuz its getting chased all day, but I just like it. Plus I got it 6 months after the terror and its was inch or two smaller than terror and is already bigger. I spoil the f*ck out of my fish, though I am still unemployed and broke, haha. Feed em bout 4 times a day all dif foods.

By the way, HAS ANYBODY BEEN USING HIKARI BIO-GOLD PELLETS????? I AM A FAN OF HAIKARI AND USUALLY FEED EM GOLD, but lately I've been feeding them bio-gold. Supposedly it has a living organism which promotes growth and color. Is this true??? Anybody use this, it actually work??? I'll do whatever to make my fish happy and healthy and colorful.

And Cyclon thanks for the input and heres this link http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Cichlid, Green Terror.htm . You gotta go down a bit in the page to see the neons. It is where I saw the Neons. I believe you are referring to white saums opposed to gold saums. Is one from peru and one from ecuador?? I have Gold saums. Also at petsmart I saw what appeared to be white saums all cheap but it was like they had a tail of a white and the dorsal of a gold kinda. They were about 1.5-2" so kinda hard to tell. Might it be a hybrid?? Was close to buying one, might still.

MY neon?? hates me. I think i terrified him by taking pics, but I put in a couple of aus rainbows as dithers. He seems to be more brave now, are these good dithers. I'm starting to think its not a neon, just looks dif. I really should ask OLD MAN KEE, see if it was a special terror, he's helped me with most of my problems/questions. But why is it so f' ing purty. I mean I've never seen a GT that colorful at 2"!! Are u saying my little terror is as colorful as urs or the 5"??? Cuz if its the little one, does MI get horrible stock????? I"ve been to about 8-10 LFS that are all reputable in metro detroit and I've never seen 2+" terrors with this color or at this price(high), and ive looked. Should I buy one of those white/gold? from petsmart and put it in 55 with other little'in . If I do i'll post pics for id.

Last edited:

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
re

About taking pictures.
My personal experience seems to show I get the best pictures with no flash using the tank lights. If you have a digital camra you can see your results right aways plus you dont upset the fish. Also you don't get a light glare off the glass. This is just what I have played with and I seem to get a better result. It seems closer to what you realy see in the tank.
Photography was once a hobby of mine and I hate using a flash and never do if I can help it.
If you take a picture of a person the light usualy comes form above. If you shine a flashlight in a persons face that is not what they normaly look like so they tend to hate their pictures. .
I havent seen this talked about in forums but it's my own 2 cents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store