I have a SALAMANDER loose in my HOUSE----

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mako

EET MOR KATFISH
Nov 19, 2001
Wake Forest, NC
Visit site
OK, I managed to catch two slimy salamanders (that's actually the name not my sarcasm) out at a wood pile today (looking for wood for wood carvings) and brought them home in a bucket.

Somehow one of the managed to slither up the side of the bucket and is now loose in my house.

I cannot find it anywhere, not in the open nor in any nooks and crannies, of which are many.

So if you were a disillusioned and frightened salamander (in a house with two cats that are terrified of everything but cat food) where would you go?

My wife is about ready to kill me. We've played this game with baby turtles, fiddler crabs from the local beach, crawfish, fish, hermit crabs, and heavens knows what else.

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
lol that is funny... jus not to the salamander, id check mostly around the spot where the bucket was, also try looking in small spaces, REALLY small spaces even. if there is a fidge near the escape point, move it, for some reason everything that gets loose in my house (voles, spiders, lizards ect...) seem to either like the fridge or shoues... also it may have sliped through a floor board (if there is an opening in the wall or floor nearby) you may want to try to stick a moist spunge out overnight near the area of the escape, or something else that it might be lured to... like bugs... i don no if ur wife would like crickets loose either tho...
best of luck to u and the slimy salimader

TYPO

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Well.. Honestly I can't help you with catching a salamander.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a mossing garter snake! This is the 2nd time he's escaped, and I leave for college tomorrow.

Get a low bowl of water and put it near the middlish of the room. And turn out the lights.
Salamanders are nocturnal, and mine LOVES to soak at night. If you have ready access to crickets, put some into a disposable plastic container with small holes in it (small enough to keep them in, big enough to let their scent out.) And also put that near the water basin.

I hope that helps!
~typo

--edit--

Do you know what species it is? That would help me out, too...
The black one with white speckles?

jasonskillz

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
i think the salamader would die pretty soon witout water so try to put something moist somewhere. those things dry up so fast trust me i no

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I found a dried up salamander underneath my floor board heaters once. The kids had found some outside and we put them in a tank for a bit...one apparently escaped without notice. It was about a year later that I found it... :eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store