Help! My comet just chewed up my black moor's fins

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blankyo

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
I woke up this morning to feed them and couldn't find my black moor...then I looked up and he was just floating there. They must've had a fight while I was asleep because he looked just fine yesterday. His fins look a little chewed up now and he's on his side.

I thought he was dead, but upon trying to fish him out found out he's still alive. I've placed him in a separate tank now. Is there any chance that he could recover and if not, what's the best way to euthenize him?

Last edited:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Comets should never be housed with fancy goldfish and this is exactly why. Keep them separated or the comet will kill your moor.

Treat your moor with constant fresh water and mela. Don't give up on him yet. The good thing about goldfish is that they seldom, if ever, refuse a meal and that will help him heal.

Roan

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
gl on the moor gettin better... but id liket to be teh first to say welcome to the forum!

blankyo

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
Roan Art said:
Comets should never be housed with fancy goldfish and this is exactly why. Keep them separated or the comet will kill your moor.

Roan
Thanks for this information. The place where I got my moor had a sticker that said "gets along with a variety of fish" (comets were included in the list of compatible fish...which in hindsight was one big piece of misinformation).

I think he might make it since most of the damage is to his fins. At least I hope so...

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
blankyo said:
Thanks for this information. The place where I got my moor had a sticker that said "gets along with a variety of fish" (comets were included in the list of compatible fish...which in hindsight was one big piece of misinformation).
I don't know how big your tank is, but there is probably something else they didn't bother to tell you: comets need at least a 50 gallon tank as a "grow out". In other words, they grow to 24"+ and are only kept in tanks for a short while until they are big enough to put outside in a pond.

Fancy goldfish need a double-filtered 20-30 gallon tank. That's per fish, btw. For each additional fancy add another 10-15 gallons.

Roan

blankyo

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
Good lord, that melafix stuff works fast! He's only been in it for a few hours and he's floating upright now (as opposed to his side). He's even swimming around occasionally.

blankyo

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
Roan Art said:
I don't know how big your tank is, but there is probably something else they didn't bother to tell you: comets need at least a 50 gallon tank as a "grow out". In other words, they grow to 24"+ and are only kept in tanks for a short while until they are big enough to put outside in a pond.

Fancy goldfish need a double-filtered 20-30 gallon tank. That's per fish, btw. For each additional fancy add another 10-15 gallons.

Roan

I wasn't informed of that either. He's in a 15 gallon tank right now but I was eventually going to upgrade to a very large tank (he's almost 4" right now so he's not feeling cramped just yet. most of the length is in his tail). Looks like I'll be buying two tanks instead of one.

Ah well, at least I'm learning of this before he reached 24"+...

Thanks again for the help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store