Amazing Gold Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishisme

I offer all kinds of free services
Oct 23, 2005
sk-canada
well are family has had gold fish for a long time, Ok this is how the tank has been for the last 6 years, its a 5gal all 4 gold fish about 5-6" big. now i hear people say that they are messey fish, i dont think so. we only do 100% water changes once a week if luck on this tank. and its always clear, but its amazing that the fish have lived that long in the tank. the always seem so happey and are always wanting food.... i know the tank is over stocked and my mom does not want 2 change it so i just let it be. i cant have gold fish in my tanks Because they could swallow some of my fish hole... so i guess there gonna stay that way. Dont you guys think that they are amazing to have lived for over 6 years in a tank of that size?

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
No, I don't think that is amazing at all.

All I can think of is that they can live until they are 20+ years old in a proper sized tank.

All I can think of is how they will die stunted and with no potential to grow to their full size or live their full lifespans.

At 6 years of age they should be 8"+ if they are fancy goldfish. If they are "regular" or comet goldfish then they should be 12-24" by now.

All I think of is how sad this all is.

Roan

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
i agree. i have a 3 year old comet that is 6" long, NOT counting his tail, which is another 4 inches, as he's a long-finned variety. he lives in a pond outside. koi are related to goldfish, and i have one i bought at 4" long......in 3 years, he's now 11.5" long.

not to mention the poor things have no room to swim, they're crammed into a tiny tank like sardines. its animal abuse, not "amazing"

goldfish can easily live 40 years and grow 12-14 inches long.

fishisme

I offer all kinds of free services
Oct 23, 2005
sk-canada
I kinda want 2 set up a pond in spring, it get cold in winter so i have to take them in. or do you think i could get a real good heater? the out side temp some times get -30c but not that offten. but summers and spring its +20, Do you think that thease fish would now live in a big 2-300 gal pond? and when winter comes what could i put them in? do you think they would fit in a 20gal in winter? if they get 2 be 10-15" big..... i dont think so.

Eve

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
Aquarium Goldfish in a pond?

Can goldfish adjust to a pond after you've had them in a tank for many years? Just curious because my grandma has a pond and I might want to put them in it someday.

themadblimper

The one free man.
Dec 10, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Goldfish and koi are also related to the common carp, which can grow to 4 feet and weigh well over 600 lbs.

Its sad how people keep them in such tiny bowls unable to sustain their needs... :(

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
i have 2 goldfish and 6 koi in a pond. we use a $30 trough heater that floats on top of the water in the winter. you can find them at livestock feed and ranch supply stores. it keeps the water about 40 degrees. plus we keep the pump running. we have a system that allows us to by-pass the filter and keep the pump going so the water still has movement. we also cover the whole thing with 2" thick styrofoam sheets you can find at any hardware store.

our pond has never frozen over, and we've never lost a fish to cold.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
you wanna know amazing? what's amazing is how poorly people can treat fish and then pat themselves on the back that the fish have managed to eke out a survival existance. how well do you think your family would do living in a closet for 6 years?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store