LFS and Chainstore bashing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
Why is it there's always somebody on here bashing all LFS's or all Chainstores? Rarely do they ever have a leg to stand on or the facts straight. I have bought fish from wal-mart, petsmart, petco and every LFS in my town as well as many towns I've traveled through. I've purchased fish from local clubmembers and off aquabid. I've had the best luck with individuals for a good reason, less stress. Most every fish you see in an LFS or chainstore has gone through several hands over the past weeks/months and stress levels are high. I've had about the same luck at all the above mentioned places. It is up to YOU to educate yourself and make good decisions. If the fish is skinny and not swimming straight DON'T BUY IT. Be aware of the guarantee your shop is planning to give you BEFORE you buy the fish. Build a good relationship with your LFS or chainstore, many times I have had an LFS extend their guarantee because they know me and how I handle my fish. They can tell if you're trying to pull one over on them. No chainstore and few LFS's can pay very much for a store employee so you're not going to find Axelrod, Goldstein or Baensch wandering around with a Petsmart shirt on trying to help you. If you are relying on that employee to know everything there is about the fish or product you're looking for, you are as ignorant as you think they are. If you don't know what you're buying or don't have the ability to adapt to the needs of the fish, don't buy it until you research it. The employees are learning every day, just like you. There is not one person in this whole hobby that knows everything about everything, we all have some information that could help the others. The same goes for the employees. I'm sure you don't do your job perfect either, cut them some slack. Not to mention putting a blanket label on all Petsmarts or all Petco's or whatever you're talking about is just stupid. You have not been to them all, you probably havn't even spoken with every employee at the store you've been to and you think you can label them? Get a reality check or just get a new hobby. Why don't you try and educate those people instead? I have stood back and listened to many a conversation gone wrong and on occasion I have found an entrance to fill in what I believe is the proper methods and I've actually had store employees thank me for offering up my opinion. Am I an expert? not even close but if I have the answer I'm more than willing to offer it to whoever wants to listen. If I don't have the answer, I'll at least try to point them in the right direction. Be thankful you have the LFS or chainstore, if they weren't there maybe you wouldn't even have a hobby. Do you thank or praise the employee you see making the right statements? probably not, you take them for granted as well don't you? Think before you speak, it's easier to edit your words before they come out of your mouth than ask forgiveness afterwards. Kyle Osterholt, OKAA treasurer

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
(Pant....Pant.....Pant......!!!)

Whooo !!.....got a little winded reading all that Snake ! Lol.....

I hear ya there.....too often, I think, the "Jeesh...stupid lfs...lousy retailer...etc...etc...." thread is posted. I think some folks just need to vent a little after a bad experience.

I usually just bypass those threads.... ;)

Yuri De Lima

AC Members
Nov 2, 2005
Alexandria,VA
blah...blah...blah...blah

So what? Shouldn't you know what is it that you(LFS and Chainstores) are selling? Of course potential fish buyers should do a through research on what it is that they want to buy, it is the fish store's job inform the costumers about the products that they are trying to sell.

I hold my rights as a costumer. A business that has undemanding costumers will remain the same, a business with demanding costumers will certaily improve or they'll run the risk of being out of business.

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
The vast majority of the employees there do know at least some or most of what they are selling but like I said, there is no way you or anyone else can know everything that will be asked and I'm tired of hearing about how someone's fish store sold them some tiger barbs and didn't tell them they'd tear up their guppies. The car dealer didn't tell you your car would smash your neighbor's kitten but you didn't go flaming the dealership did you? Why does it always come to the LFS or Chainstore being the enemy. I can contribute almost every single problem I've ever had to MY ignorance, not the store's. If you go buy a pencil from wal-mart and stab it into your eye then is wal-mart liable because they didn't train you how to properly use the item???? Get real, it is the CONSUMER's job to research EVERYTHING they are doing. The same as it is the PARENT's job to teach their children not to shove a fork into an electrical socket, not the electric company's. It's just getting old hearing someone spout off to never buy anything from a chainstore ever again because they'll all come to your house and kill all your fish while you sleep and steal your dog while they're at it. They are HUMAN, we all make mistakes. Kyle

Yuri De Lima

AC Members
Nov 2, 2005
Alexandria,VA
snakeskinner said:
I can contribute almost every single problem I've ever had to MY ignorance.
I personally think that was the only true thing that you said in all those long senteces.

And if you do that, it's your decision, we all got different ones.

Everything doesn't have to be so hard, make things simpler. Relax, be patient, everything will be alright.

glowbug0015

coupleafishluvrs
Feb 12, 2005
Claremont, CA
you may have gone on a little long...

But you're right. I've also bought fish from walmart, petco, petsmart, and every local lfs, and regionally, even some on ebay. Especially in a hobby when nobody's knowledge is complete or perfect, I research something I might want and then ask the opinions of the store employees at several stores, especially if I see a healthy specimen at their store. Everything you hear from anyone in this hobby must be taken with a grain of salt. In the end, the fish and the tank are your property and its up to you to take care of them- so if a new fish from the store gives your whole tank ich (happened to me last month) then you can't blame the store- you can decide not to go there again, or decide it was probably only a fluke, or set up a decontamination tank or whatever. It's all an investment, and you win some, you lose some.
But, some people have to vent sometimes too. I know I was upset when my whole tank got ich from one fish, as well as every time I treated a new fish for internal parasites. And sometimes them venting can inform the rest of us. If several of us have had the same issue with a particular store, it helps the rest of us to know about and avoid that problem.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yuri De Lima said:
...it is the fish store's job inform the costumers about the products that they are trying to sell.

I hold my rights as a costumer. A business that has undemanding costumers will remain the same, a business with demanding costumers will certaily improve or they'll run the risk of being out of business.
No, it is NOT the fish stores responsibility to inform you. It'snot the car dealers responsibility to inform you that a car has a poor saftey record, it's not the responsibility of the police to inform you of the laws before the arrest you. The consumer is responsible for informing themselves. Laws exist for deliberately deceitful practices, but that doesn't apply here.

Rights as a consumer? Consumers have the right to choose where to shop, not to dictate the behavior of a business. Consumers have the responsibility to research items--from a car to a laptop to pets--before purchase. The thinking that businesses should do that for us is ridiculous. Should businesses respond to the needs of their customers? You bet--when it impacts the bottom line.

HolyBull

AC Members
Dec 26, 2005
There used to be very good LFSs in my community of Glendale, CA. I used to even buy their expensive supplies just to support them.

Over the past 5 years all the LFSs in my community have turned to %&^#$%

Usually starts with a change in ownership to a dude that wants to get rich. Wastes money trying to spruce up a store that was fine, and starts to carry dogs, cats, etc.

It was surreal last year when on my day off, went to all the fish stores in the area looking for a cichlid for my empty 40 gal and discovered that Petco had the best selection.

I love Petco.

HolyBull

AC Members
Dec 26, 2005
I remember Costco/Price Club selling a big aquarium setup whe i was a kid. Now if they brought that back, i'm sure it would be some good stuff for a good price.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store