Are ghost shrimp killers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

UncaBret

Yummmm!
Nov 23, 2005
Normal,IL
www.myspace.com
Seems like a read a post on this earlier but can't find it now (ain't that always the way?).
I just saw one of my GS jump on a female betta and start wailing away.The betta did shake it off after a few seconds.
Should I move the bettas to my dwarf gourami tank, or move the shrimp to the DG tank? :huh:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I'd get rid of the shrimp.

IME, yes, they are killers and I'm never buying any more of those little scavaging savages.

I've posted before that I suspected they were killing my otos. I don't think anyone believes me, tho :eek:

I saw one attack a kuhlii and a corycat a while back and I saw one attack another cory tonight. I've found a few dead otos with their eyes missing and one dead corycat with missing eyes. I saw a shrimp swim down from the top of my tank with a dead oto in its claws. The oto had no eyes.

They sit on top of my big rock and wait for a fish to swim below and stop. Then they grab at them. Hate 'em.

I rounded all of them up and put them in my son's silver dollar tank. Mr. Cleaner, the Hammer's Cobalt Blue lobster lives in there. He hasn't touched them (typical!), but some day he might. I hope.

Roan

Last edited:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
YES! Oh my bloody foobies, I just witnessed a terrible attack and only by removing the shrimp was I able to prevent a death.

I just put my new rainbowfish in my 36g (serving as a QT atm, but has shrimp and some kuhlis in it). One of the smaller fish (2 inches) zoomed to the bottom and hid under a rock. I watched my egg-carrying female shrimp swim up behind it and attack! The baby was bigger than her, but she attacked it anyhow!

She had the fish in both her pinchers and it was desparately trying to get away. It was thrashing and rolling and she was hanging on tight. I stuck a net in and she fled, only to return a second later and attack the baby again. I grabbed the net, cornered her and she is HISTORY!

I hope the baby is okay. S/he is swimming about normally now, but OH am *I* mad!

Roan

beatle

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
Alexandria, VA
www.mdbbox.com
I have a ghost shrimp with my male betta. The betta flared at the shrimp a few times when the shrimp was new to the tank, but they stay out of each others way now. I've never seen the shrimp go on the offensive against the betta.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Yes, they are regular ghost shrimp. Max size is 2", which is the size of the females I have, the males are around 1½". Eggs are green. Clear white, no other markings. Believe me, I've been all over the web verifying. I got them from LiveAquaria.com months ago, so I've had them for a while.

Hate 'em. Gonna off them all.

Roan

knashash

AC Members
Oct 28, 2004
2'' seems awfly big for a ghost shrimp...they are aggresive little buggers though. Never seen mine attack any fish though

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
beatle said:
I have a ghost shrimp with my male betta. The betta flared at the shrimp a few times when the shrimp was new to the tank, but they stay out of each others way now. I've never seen the shrimp go on the offensive against the betta.
They stay away from fish that it can't take on. I've seen them go after my baby platies, but everyone went after those. I have only had strange cory and oto losses. No other fish, though I've seen them try to get at the kuhlis.

Any other fish in my tank would kill a ghost easily, except these new rainbow babies. I think the shrimp sensed how stressed it was and scared and immediately went on the offensive.

Roan

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
knashash said:
2'' seems awfly big for a ghost shrimp...they are aggresive little buggers though. Never seen mine attack any fish though
This is what I bought:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1468

Shrimp site:
http://www.petshrimp.com/glassshrimp.html

My shrimp are definitely NOT Macrobrachium. They have normal sized arms, do not have large pinchers, and have no other color on them at all. 5cm, btw, is about 2".

Here's a picture of one of my platy babies with a male ghost shrimp in the background. Best picture I can get atm.

I'll try and get a picture of the female in my son's tank.

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store