Ghost Shrimp or no?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

justintoxicated

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
I bought some ghost shrimp from my LFS, they have some strange colored on them though, maybe kinda redish on their back and tail. But I think it is ghost shrimp non the less

They look clear like ghost shrimp though.

One has gotten quite large and is Prego.

The babies seem to be carried under the rear legs. or something.

I have a whisper 10i practicaly submerged in the water so the current is kinda weak. Can I raise them?

I have some baby guppies in a little tiny plastic cricket keeper size tank too, all my fishys are getting prego and I only had them less than a week, other than the shrimp that were previously food in my newts tank for about a month.

The tank has several kinds of real plants in it. Will the babies be ok? Maybe some of them will live?

What should I do?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I have gotten Macrobrachium shrimp mixed in with Ghosts before, and seen that mix reported on the boards by others as well. Many to most Macrobrachium shrimp are not fish safe IME.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
justintoxicated said:
I bought some ghost shrimp from my LFS, they have some strange colored on them though, maybe kinda redish on their back and tail.
Not a ghost shrimp. No color on them at all, unless it's a black spot on a berried female or they go opaque before they moult.

Roan

Veneer

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Roan Art said:
Not a ghost shrimp. No color on them at all, unless it's a black spot on a berried female or they go opaque before they moult.

Roan
This is untrue. Some FW Palaemonetes spp., in the way of red coloration, may exhibit pigmented antennules, "tail fan" spots, and "wrist bands". However, the same traits characterize many other Palaemonids (especially juveniles).

justintoxicated

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
Interesing, mine looks liek the shrimp in that picture, some of the others have the spots on the tail etc. They all look the same otherwise, what would make some fish safe and others not fish safe?

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Here's an interesting read about ghost shrimp I found at this site.....

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/fish/freshwater_inverts/fwi4997.html

"Although Ghost Shrimp are normally peaceful creatures, they may not be a good choice for all aquariums. If you keep fish in your aquarium that eat small animals, you may find that they will eat your Ghost Shrimp. To prevent this, you should add lots of hiding places to your aquarium to help the Ghost Shrimp escape such a fate, or, you may wish to keep them alone or with animals that will not prey on them. An opposite problem seems to occur in aquariums where waters remain particularly warm. These warm temperatures speed up the metabolisms of the Ghost Shrimp, making them more active. Unfortunately, along with this increased activity, some people have reported an increased aggressiveness. It has been observed that Ghost Shrimp may attack fish at higher temperatures. Ghost Shrimp normally feed on algae or any food material that sinks to the bottom of their aquarium. They can be useful by assisting in cleaning minute amounts of food or plant materials out of substrates like gravel."

beatle

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
Alexandria, VA
www.mdbbox.com
My ghost shrimp isn't completely clear. He has even more green on him now, but he's even more active than he was when I got him. He'll swim to the top of the tank and compete with my betta for food.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Ok..that shrimp looks very much like mine Beatle.....does yours have any red on them at all ? Mine have two red dots on the tail fin, red at the base of one pair of feelers...and a red band around one set of pinchers.

Trying to decide if what I have are really ghost shrimp or something else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store