California here we come!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I am a member of the society of automotive engineers and we have a club here at school where we design, build, and race a half scale formula one race car. Every year we compete with teams from across the world in Detroit but this year, due to a mix up we missed the deadline and now have to compete in Fontana, California.

As of now it looks grim... we have to get approximately 30 people from Newark Delaware to Fontana California. On top of that, we somehow need to get a car out there as well. The school is very much against us driving it out there and our President is very much against shipping it. He is worried it will get damaged and we wont be able to fix it, especially because most of the parts are custom made by us.

I guess the biggest issue is raising the money to finance the trip because as of right now we have very little money. Our President of the club is set on not having anyone pay, our club has prided itself on allowing anyone who wants to go on these trips go. Unfortunately this causes a huge problem for me (I am the treasurer) as I am now in charge of coming up with around 25,000 dollars :eek: :help: :eek: (we have priced everything out.) Does anyone have any fund raising ideas or tips? Any thoughts, tips or idea on how to get 30 people out to California? This is becoming one big headache!!!

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
Fund raising? Four words for you.

Lots of car washes!!!!!!!!

Plus go to your local chamber of commerce. They can help you get ideas for fund raisers (it is located close if not in the court house).

As for 30 people going to California. Your college kids, pile in some cars and road trip.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
msouth468 said:
Your college kids, pile in some cars and road trip.

We would love to, but when we worked it out it was cheaper to just buy plane tickets then pay for gas, food, lodging. Also, the opportunity cost of giving up all that time from work isn't worth it. A road trip to California is on my list of things to do before I die (yes I really do have a list made up) but I dont think its going to be this summer!

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
I don't have anything useful to contribute to this thread other than my enthusiasm:

All together now....

ROAD TRIP!!!!!! :D

*Ahem*

Thank you for your time and participation. :)

Peace...

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
LesbianChap said:
Corporate sponsors?
Our school is really against that, something about stepping on toes...? But we have put together sponsorship packets and are giving them out as I type. I still think we will need fundraising to supplement!

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
Are you talking college level here? WHat about appealing to alumi of your department or organization for donations? What about to the SAE?

Fundraising ideas could include raffle tickets for a big ticket item..if you can get a TV or car donated. COncerts..."slave" auctions...how long do you have in which to do this??

BTW....my uncle is a retired automotive engineer. He worked for International harvestor for years, and has had a consulting business since he retired. He has been very active in the program that the SAE has for bringing info into the schools and tried to recruit both my girls to be engineers. He was always telling them that they needed more women..glad to see you are one!!

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
nursie said:
Are you talking college level here? WHat about appealing to alumi of your department or organization for donations? What about to the SAE?

Fundraising ideas could include raffle tickets for a big ticket item..if you can get a TV or car donated. COncerts..."slave" auctions...how long do you have in which to do this??

Yep, this is college level. I have a meeting with the alumni department coming up, they will give approximatly 2000 dollars which is a nice chunk of money. The Raffle tickets is a good idea, I hadn't thought about that. So is hosting a concert. The competition is in June but we need to raise the money before then so we can book tickets and hotel rooms. Thanks for the ideas.

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
If this is a student association...I'm thinking it is...
One of the frats where I went to college has a slave auction. It was welll attended. There was great bidding and competition over some of the guys.
You could have a spring carnival...kiddie games and stuff that other college kids can participate in...if it snows..snowman building contest..bake sale. My daughter's in college...they had a coloring contest before christmas break and their RA gave prizes. You could charge an entry fee. there is all kinds of stuff, but you have to have time to do your class work too...lol.
WHat about a stuff a car contest...see how many ppl can fit in a car, or a contest to guess how many of a certain item you can fit in your car. Charge per entry and give $ prize to the winner. Make your situation known to the other students on campus and I'll bet you'll get help..

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store