Instant Ocean Hydrometer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thelau's

Registered Member
Jan 11, 2006
We are having trouble using this hydrometer. Can not figure out how much water to put in. If I just cover the arm I get a low reading, if I fill it all the way up I get a high reading can anyone help us please? :look:

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Fill it all the way to the top, tap it to remove any bubbles, take a reading and then repeat to make sure. If you can, get a refractometer - they're MUCH more accurate and easier to use and don't cost much more than a swing-arm hydrometer.

wattsd

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
I am using the same one and have actually found it to be accurate. Though not as accurate as a refractometer. You do fill it to the top and tap the bubbles off the needle. I would try using some distilled bottled water to make sure it reads on the zero mark.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
definatly get a refractometer, you can find some online for like 40 bucks. the thing is about hydrometers, even if you test them, they do get more and more inaccurate over time because of build up and wear. If you are using a hydrometer, get a refractometer, if you cannot do taht at this moment, then ocne a month wash out the hydrometer with rice vinagar to remove build up.

drew2582

-The holy hand grenade-
Dec 1, 2005
A little advice for down the road........

I use an Instant ocean salinity tester - A problem i have had with this, when shaking off the bubbles, is the little weight in the tester arm falling off. If this happens to you it is very easy to slide the weight back into the hole with a needle nose tweezer - just thought i would give my experience with this piece of equipment.

reefrash

bartender another round of skimmate
Dec 1, 2005
Montara, Ca.
www.robincampbellband.com
If you do a little jig (sweep instead of plunge) you can get a pretty accurate reading with a hydro, that's what I do if I'm in a hurry. However if the reading is out of whack I grab the refract (hey that ryhmes sounds like "if the glove does not fit...."). Anyway....... I use the hydrometer if I pretty much know the salinity of an existing tank and just need to verify I'm still o.k., and use the refract to mix water or on new tanks where any noggin' scratchin comes into play.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store